Would you lend, or accept, a hand when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I didn’t hit 60 as hard as it hit me!
So I am still diving with an easier to carry HP65, but due to hip issues, could really use a hand standing at end of dive.
I know other long term divers hit the terminus at different speeds, facing different difficulties.
My question is, what level of help would you feel safe accepting or giving to keep an older diver on a regular dive schedule?
Thoughts and ideas welcome, snark not welcome.

It is not uncommon for some divers to carry a collapsible hiking pole when shore diving to assist with the entrance and exit, you can get some cheap aluminum ones that you can treat as disposable and get crafty on how to attach them, @Luis H probably has some good ideas from Bonaire/Cozumel as well as the coast of Maine.

I do argue that if you can't physically get yourself in or out then you are no longer considered an independent diver and while that doesn't necessarily mean you should hang up the fins, it does mean that you need to take some extra precautions with choosing dive buddies that are physically capable of getting both of you out of the water safely.

I do argue that if you can't physically get yourself in or out then you are no longer considered an independent diver and while that doesn't necessarily mean you should hang up the fins, it does mean that you need to take some extra precautions with choosing dive buddies that are physically capable of getting both of you out of the water safely.
I have to stand back and agree. I saw a man with one leg who was diving and who had great helpers. This gives me faith there are helpful folks out there.
But for myself, i dive where i can crawl out on the sand if i have to. Not so fond of Rocky shore dives.

The last time I was at CoCo View I saw an older woman (I am 60 for perspective) with two canes walking into the water with a dive master carrying her gear (while wearing his). They got to one of the docks and he helped her gear up. They submerged, did an hour long dive (I waited and watched), returned to the same platform and reversed the process. I have never been more encoraged by anything. I hope that this is me in the future and that I can keep diving almost as long as I keep breathing.

Things have changed for me too, not so much because I turned 60, but because I had a hip replacement about 6 years ago. Prior to the hip replacement, when I was feeling good I could charge into the water, get my fins on in waist deep water and off I went. Getting out same thing. I had enough flexibility to do everything I needed to do on a shore dive. But then as my arthritis began to get worse and I had more flare ups, it became more and more difficult. Finally the osteoarthritis got so bad I had to go in.
After the surgery the joint pain was gone but now I have some permanent flexibility issues that I can’t seem to stretch my way out of no matter how hard I try. The muscles and tendons must have so much scar tissue that they are permanently damaged. I waited too long.
So now instead of donning and doffing fins in waist deep water sometimes with mild surf, I must fully gear up on shore including fins and do the old back walk into the water and flop in. Getting out I do the crawl up onto the beach routine. Rocky entries and exits are a thing if the past. If I want to dive a spot that is rocky I opt to use my kayak off a sandy beach and paddle to the rocky site. So far hiking gear to and from the beach is easier and less painful than when my hip was at it’s worst, but I have to be careful not to overload it and cause undo wear and tear. Like I said, the joint is pain free now so sometimes I forget that I have a fake hip until I try and stretch to put my fins on, then I get a hard reminder!
I still have a weight workout routine I do which really helps stay in shape, and recently gave up alcohol (not that I was AA or anything) but it kinda gets old I guess and at a certain age it just isn’t good for you anymore. Plus I sleep better and wake up ready to do stuff. I just have too much stuff I want to do with my life and it was getting in the way. I don’t miss it.

I think the most important thing is to communicate the specific assistance you need to ensure that the "helper" / DB has a clear understanding of what they need to do to ensure that both of you get in and out of the water safely. Getting prepared in advance eliminates a number of variables and also sensitizes other divers to your situation.

Just like some other replies indicate - I would argue that you are never to old to dive, but you might get to old to dive as a dive buddy. So, if you are unfit to manage yourself and your buddy out of harm, you would need an additional buddy to assist you when diving. I have seen some old timers diving in teams of three - in order to assist someone during the dive if necessary.

Hi @Bubblesong

I'm 69 and have had both my hips replaced. Fortunately, my hips are good and have not hampered my diving. I broke my left femur last year and ended up with 2 surgeries and a long, tough recovery. I just started diving again last month. I was doing quite well before diving but was a little concerned, mostly about reboarding the boat and climbing the ladders. I let both operators know and they volunteered any help needed, including donning and doffing my equipment in the water. It turned out I was able to climb a fins on and a fins off ladder without problems.

Whether boat or shore diving, make sure you discuss your potential needs and make sure you have adequate assistance, should you need it. None of us will be able to dive forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom