Would you stay away from a dive shop that had an accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apedai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For example, a diver is missing during a drift diving, you only know the name of the dive shop but do not know the details of the accident. The dive shop did not explain the cause of the accident and keep silent. Will you avoid to dive with them?

Reactions: OTF
Well to both questions it would 100% depend on the circumstances of the accident.

We hire saw operators that have already lost a finger, somewhere else

but I can not drive on that road, there was an accident on it 33yrs ago

Well to both questions it would 100% depend on the circumstances of the accident.
Too little information to provide an opinion.
There was a diving accident in Japan recently. Some people think that operator should not be sought and avoided, Because people don't know the details and whether the dive shop should be responsible.

So I want to know your opinion.

My point is, I don't blame the dive shop, but they have a responsibility to publish the truth (Unless the family of the deceased refused)

Until they do, I'll choose someone else.

I’m new to the dive industry but I’m not new to extreme sports and the high risk industry.

At this stage being quite a recent event (18 September?) there is a high potential that this incident is still under investigation. Exact details of the events and the final verdict will not be released until the report is finalised.

I honestly would wait until the report and facts have been released prior to making a decision whether to black list a dive shop.

There are so many factors to consider. In my very very junior knowledge of drift diving, if you are separated from your group aren’t you suppose conduct a quick search (1minute?) and the return to surface and deploy a DSMB.

Also potential OOG situation and due to the current diver was unable to reach a buddy for an AAS?

At this stage all speculation and assumptions.

My 2c from a junior diver, but experienced instructor in high risk sport/industry.

but I can not drive on that road, there was an accident on it 33yrs ago
That's going to be difficult. Because there are too many roads that have had accidents. The same goes for the dive site.

Yeah mate the driving thing is tongue in cheek but you're sure sharing closed minded ideas regarding dive sites

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom