Would you stay away from a dive shop that had an accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the original question; every person has a sense of self-preservation. My risk tolerance is different than yours and ours is different than everybody else. It's a hypothetical question that you should answer for yourself. We can't answer it for you.

No it is not, flying is more dangerous. It is done safely because of risk mitigation. And pretty much every other sport or hobby is safer than diving. Period.
When comparing the safety of engaging activity A vs. activity B, it makes no sense to compare them in the hypothetical case of doing each of them when engaged in the stupidest way possible.

Instead you compare activity A as likely to be performed to activity B as likely to be performed, along with likely variations in performance, and draw your conclusions from that.

Comparing before mitigation, traveling at 30,000 ft at 500 mph is way more dangerous than sliding down a snow covered slope. But every rational person knows if is far safer to engage in an airline flight than it is to go skiing even if you are the carefullest skier on the slope.

As for sports, American Football is inherently far more dangerous than scuba if all mitigation are ignored. Or boxing, or ... you get the point.

As for sports, American Football is inherently far more dangerous than scuba if all mitigation are ignored. Or boxing, or ... you get the point.

I disagree, football without mitigation has very high risk of injury or serious injury.

Diving without mitigation has extremely high risk of very serious injury or death.

Reactions: Zef
Managing/mitigating risk does not negate or remove the risk from the activity it just makes the risk more acceptable.

Risk in an activity is based on the potential for damage, injury, and or death. Just because the risk is mitigated does not mean the activity is inherently safe it just means that the risk is/can be managed managed to the point where it is acceptable for participation.

In the example of commercial flight, managing risks reduces s the likelihood of catastrophe which makes it more acceptable to participate as pilot, cree, or passenger, but the potential for disaster is ever present should things go wrong.

Operation risk management/risk management in general is not about removing risk, it's about understanding the risk and employing measures to reduce the possibility of being impacted by the risk.

-Z

I disagree, football without mitigation has very high risk of injury or serious injury.

Diving without mitigation has extremely high risk of very serious injury or death.
Would you rather have all your equipment disappear facing a hit from a linebacker, or 60ft underwater?

I know I'd rather take the CESA than the hit.

Reactions: BRT
I will often buy products that have a few negative online ratings written by people who had a bad experience. If it's obvious that the user didn't know what they were doing with the product or wrote a review that had little to do with the product, you'd say that the proper use of the product had nothing to do with the negative rating.

Can I use the same logic and rigor if using a dive shop that had an accident? Shouldn't I use due diligence to research the nature of the accident, and determine who or what was at fault? Or if it was just crappy luck?

I'd hate to run a activity-based business that required my customers to be (truly) honest about their skills and their health.

Would you rather have all your equipment disappear facing a hit from a linebacker, or 60ft underwater?

I know I'd rather take the CESA than the hit.

Line backer, I still have air to breath

What the heck does “diving without mitigation“ mean? Does it mean without gear? That’s called drowning or free diving (depending on whether you inhale underwater). Does it mean with no certification? Or does it mean you read a book? Are you talking about a try-it dive? You need to be more specific.

100 deaths a year in the US probably puts it on part with hunting (~100 per year). Most people are expected to take a firearm safety class and depending on what you are hunting, a license. You have safety rules and gear, and physical fitness is not a huge barrier to participation. How does that compare?

Risk mitigation is incredibly vague. Tying your shoes would count.

@CT-Rich can you breathe underwater without any gear?

• Funny
Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom