would you trust her?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess everyone has their own relationship dynamic. I am just the direct sort who doesn't hedge things like that. Maybe that makes me unusual. :confused:

People don't behave the same way underwater as they do on land, it's a totally alien environment. I would never consider myself to be panicky (in fact quite the reverse), I don't remember ever panicking on land, but I have panicked underwater (stories on the board somewhere).

Similarly, I don't think a propensity to freak out over a spider is going to predispose you to underwater panic, or that you will be immune becasue spiders don't bother you.

I took my open water class with my girlfriend and in retrospect I would have done it seperately, more because I could never make my mind up if she was doing it because she wanted to or because I wanted her to.

Just my 2c

Now I may have been married longer than you (coming up on 20 years), so maybe our relationship is in a different state. I would have no problem, and without being patronizing, asking my wife if she wanted to learn to dive remarking that she has a strong fear of insects and asking her how she thinks she might respond.

I wouldn't automatically assume that just because she is afraid of bugs that she will be afraid of diving. I know several divers that are afraid of bugs, mice, snakes....that love diving.

I agree with everyone else, to (1) have her try snorkeling, (2) sign her up with a good, patient instructor -- certainly not in a class with you. If she is interested in diving and needs a little more time getting the hang of things, switch to a semi- or fully-private class. The additional $$ will be worth the piece of mind to both of you.

As for my wife, she does NOT dive. She is one of those people who can't put her face underwater. However, she enjoys the beach/boat while me and my two boys dive, so we still get diving-related vacations.

Whatever you do, don't force her. I have seen too many girlfriends / wives be brow-beaten into taking a class, only to (1) hate it and (2) eventually quit [either before or after certification]

Otter

The answer to your question is trust her. Ask if she wants to learn to dive. If it's yes, great! Set her up with training and see what happens. If it's no, great! You have an official beach bunny. My wife stays on the beach. She dosen't even get her face wet when she takes a shower. When I come back from my dive adventures I just make sure I'm all hers. It is nice to have some seperate interests. Makes for better conversations. I dive she scrapbooks. I think diving may be cheaper in the long run.

Trust her!

You can always start out with a Discover Scuba session and see how that goes before investing in a full certification course. Lots of reputable shops will do Discovers for free. (Hint: a mask that fits properly is critical for those who aren't comfortable u/w)

I would suggest that you help her find a very good instructor then back off and let her have her own experience at her pace. Some couples are just fantastic at learning together, others do better diving with other people. Like many sports, each person may perform differently than their significant other.

I have always had some reservations about diving, but love it so much that I'm motivated to work through my little issues with experience and practice dives in lots of conditions. However, if at any time I'm not comfortable before a dive I call it and let the others go without me or I call it during the dive and we return to the dock/boat.

I'm extremely lucky to have found a group of divers who are totally supportive and safety is always the primary goal of our dives. They encourage me, but never try to convince me that I'll "be ok if I just try it anyway". That is always my decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom