WOW.. How incredibly rude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Maybe the guy just hates scubapro like I do. LOL
I'd carve regs out of wood before I used anything from them.
Are we talkin' quality of the equipment here? Or company policies, practices and attitudes?
I'll bet it's the latter.
Rick

MikeFerrara:
Maybe the guy just hates scubapro like I do. LOL

I'd carve regs out of wood before I used anything from them.

Just curious...why do you not like SP regs? I've used US Divers and SP and Mares. I've serviced all these brands also. And SP was probably the most reliable (I only dive the tropics, no cold or cave diving for me). I believe you can take an MK20 or MK2, bury them in the yard for a year, dig them up, wash them and go diving. R190s? come on...real work horses.
One brand's unbalanced piston reg went through high pressure seats every five hours of diving...basically because of a design flaw. I've used an MK20 for 7 years now with no problems at all. I do have an Atomic B1 second stage....and a US Diver octopus......

I have seen that same tactic on occasion at dive shops and at automotive stores (speed shops especially) where they will slam some brand of gear they don't carry.

I often wonder whether they dislike it because they don't carry it, or if they don't carry it because they don't like it.

It seems like smaller shops seem to specialize on a few brands because they can get better prices when they place larger orders (makes sense!) so it is not cost effective for them to carry a lot of brands. I have no problem with that.

I agree with Rockytop; just tell me you don't carry it, but don't insult me while blindly slaming the brand I asked about. If I seem interested in dialogue, they could try to convert me or to educate me, but not without verifying whether I am interested in that conversation first.

I knew a Speed Shop that only carried specific brands for each item. They explained that they carried what they considered the best, and nothing else. Other brands were often compared to Brand X, and said to be "as good as Brand X". So they only carried Brand X since it was the yardstick by which all others were measured. Possibly a load of codswallop, but at least it was well thought out!

We have the luxury of several dive shops within a short drive where I live, so we can shop and compare, and browse several shops. There is one local shop that used to play the game of "we know what's best for you" instead of answering the questions we asked. Funny that they went out of business. Another shop in the area has exhibited some of that attitude, and we rarely ever go in there. Three other shops in our area have recieved thousands of dollars from me and my buddy, plus we refer our friends to those 3 shops. Sounds like the "system" is working.

Wristshot.

of topic:
Here in my area (cold water) ScubaPro has an extremely bad reputation!! I would never ever buy one!
That said, my LDS says that it is a good reg for recreational warm water diving (only)...

Rick Murchison:
Are we talkin' quality of the equipment here? Or company policies, practices and attitudes?
I'll bet it's the latter.
Rick

It's the company and their conduct I don't like.

MarcHerm:
of topic:
Here in my area (cold water) ScubaPro has an extremely bad reputation!! I would never ever buy one!
That said, my LDS says that it is a good reg for recreational warm water diving (only)...

I have seen problems with some models but I couldn't say which ones they were. Some pretty mad divers along with them too.

If you do a search Vance Harlow has written a few posts on the board talking about which ones have had problems in cold water.

MikeFerrara:
It's the company and their conduct I don't like.

I have to agree. They can be arrogant.

:crafty: Dude, There is nothing wrong with ScubaPro gear, all of mine is ScubaPro, BC, Reg, Wet Suit I think it is the best. Never had any problems with it.

Sounds like the Store you call needs to lose all there business and raise pigs or something.

Rich

srkdvr:
:crafty: Dude, There is nothing wrong with ScubaPro gear, all of mine is ScubaPro, BC, Reg, Wet Suit I think it is the best. Never had any problems with it.

Sounds like the Store you call needs to lose all there business and raise pigs or something.

Rich

Rich,

I was going to list all my certs in my sig line but it would take several pages and my wife was kind enough to point out that spending all that cash for what I got was nothing to brag about and my buddies would never let me forget it. I'm thinking about just including the total cost. What do ya think?

Just razin ya :eyebrow:

HeHeHe.

I had a similar thought, Mike, but if I listed all my certs I'd have to own up to the ones that I'm embarrassed to have paid for.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom