WOW.. How incredibly rude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Maybe the guy just hates scubapro like I do. LOL

I'd carve regs out of wood before I used anything from them.

I believe that GUE recomends that you only use hard wood's preferably Elm. As stated earlier anything else can lead to bouyancy issues, although Pine is accpetable for backplates :eyebrow:

RockyTop:
Im very new to the sport of scuba...i can already tell that i am going to love this. therfore, i am leaning toward purchasing my gear. i would love to be able to buy locally but simply will not get bent over the counter on pricing... I asked the gentleman that answered if they carried scuba pro regulators.

I am fairly new to the sport (and love it), too, and recently bought my own gear. It's a good idea. My LDS touts Scubapro as the cat's meow and after much research I ended up buying the SP Mark 16 / G 250 (partly because they have a GREAT warranty and good yearly service costs). The thing is though, they told me that the competetor, Apeks (which they don't sell), is just as good a product. We discussed what type of diving I want to do, and the pros and cons of the different designs (I was also looking at the Oceanic Blizzard, which they sold). Basically, you can bank on an LDS that thinks any product they don't sell as "crap" as not having your best interest in mind. Er, as far as buying on-line... watch out for the "gray market." Many things you buy from on-line stores don't have the manufacturer's warranties. check for that.
Oh, check out what people here have to say about things, but do some independent research on this stuff, too, because most of the postings on here are OPINION.

Well, he is trying to make some money! If he doesn't carry the brand you're looking for he may as well try to get you interested in something he can actually sell. Didn't work this time obviously but when you're in the sales business it's worth a shot rather than letting the customer "walk out the door".

Unless he was insolent in his tone then I'd describe him as "salesminded" rather than rude!

RockyTop:
one of them started with a t. he said that brand was basically designed by folks that used to work at SP and left because they wanted to create the best equipment available.
That would be Atomic.
He may not be tactful, and may be a bad businessman (and is wrong that Oceanic is better than SP), but he's not wrong about the new Atomic line. The M1 set is one of the best regs available.

RichLockyer:
That would be Atomic.
He may not be tactful, and may be a bad businessman (and is wrong that Oceanic is better than SP), but he's not wrong about the new Atomic line. The M1 set is one of the best regs available.

You mention the M1 as being one of the best regs available. What other regs would be considered amongst the best? How or where might folks find the information that demonstrates the performance of various regs?

MikeFerrara:
I was going to list all my certs in my sig line but it would take several pages and my wife was kind enough to point out that spending all that cash for what I got was nothing to brag about and my buddies would never let me forget it. I'm thinking about just including the total cost. What do ya think?
So far I've spent $105 for my certs. $60 for OW in 74 and more recently $45 on Nitrox. All other certs were provided by a shop that wanted my help.

Hey, it's all about customer service, Rich. Too many business people (scuba and otherwise) don't get the fact that every type of business involves customer service. Making the customer/client feel welcome, feel that their input is respected, and providing solutions to their problems are all part of most business activities, from working in a fast food joint to designing pharmaceuticals. (I've worked that particular spectrum over the last 25 years or so!)

Dive shop owners seem particularly prone to getting too involved in controversies over training agencies and gear choices. I've been lucky enough to find great LDSs in Charlotte and now in South Florida, but in the process of identifying them, have run into my share of high pressure salesmen, opinionated bigots, and folks that alienated me before they had made any money off of me. One Florida shop owner even tried a high pressure push to get me to buy new fins when I was in a hurry for a fill and hadn't expressed any interest in fins at all. I had to wait for him to finish his spiel, ask again for him to start the fill, listen to more spiel, etc. Guess who won't be getting any more fill business from me? And all I wanted was $4 worth of air!

I think the attitudes expressed in this thread reflect poor business practices and are detrimental to diving in general. All it takes is one bad experience to push someone who's tittering on the fence off in the non-diving direction.

Whew! Too much coffee for me this morning!

MikeFerrara:
Rich,

I was going to list all my certs in my sig line but it would take several pages and my wife was kind enough to point out that spending all that cash for what I got was nothing to brag about and my buddies would never let me forget it. I'm thinking about just including the total cost. What do ya think?

Just razin ya :eyebrow:
Awww man, that made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt! You just posted what alot of people were thinking!! Ha ha!

I would rather a salesperson extol the virtues and superior characteristics of their product rather than slam the competiton. You might as well say that your product is just less junky than the stuff you don't sell. Just a fact today for all products that some perfere this method.

Those in the retail end could clarify but around me, ScubaPro gear looks like an all or nothing franchise. Aqualung is becoming another large player and I don't see Aqualung and ScubaPro sold side by side. Maybe the shop you called was denied a dealership, couldn't afford it, etc.

Lastly, to M Ferrara- could you please start a poll as to which wood is preferred? I'd like to see some websites, including links to plans for the DIY crowd. Just think of the subcategories we could argue about: splinters, dry rot tendencies, varnish -vs- polyurethane.......

Back
Top Bottom