WOW! Neptune's Cove is awesome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys,

Next time drop a car at Christmas Tree and swim from Neptune's to Christmas Tree. It's about 3/4 mile underwater. I've done it twice. With over filled 95's, we usually run out of air at the tip of the reef at Christmas Tree and surface swim the rest of the way. If memory serves me correctly, it's about 1:45 with an average depth of around 30ft.

An interesting entry is to start out in the tidal pool and go out the drain on the left side. When the waves are just right, a big wave will crash over into the tidal pool and you'll get a big flushing action from the low wall on the left hand side. Hold on to your reg and mask because it's like getting flushed down a huge commode when it's really pounding.

Glad to see more people diving that area. Neptune Pinnacles are some of the prettiest diving around. I've been in love with that spot for years!

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks for the dive report Frank. You are the PV dive site guru.
I may just stop making the drive to laguna to freedive every week and start exploring PV.
Where do you take the trail down to Neptunes from that parking lot?

Glad to see more people diving that area. Neptune Pinnacles are some of the prettiest diving around. I've been in love with that spot for years!
I can see myself falling for that spot as well. Its has such a great reef structure and is packed with life. That Neptunes to Christmas Tree dive would be an interesting way to do it. I might just have to try:wink: Bottomtime told me once that his buddy used to do that same route. Are you by chance him?
Thanks for the dive report Frank. You are the PV dive site guru.
I may just stop making the drive to laguna to freedive every week and start exploring PV.
Where do you take the trail down to Neptunes from that parking lot?

Screw Laguna! Don't get me wrong, I love Shaw's cove and the entry down there is really easy. But there is so much more variety of life up here. "IMHO"
The trail down to Neptune's can be hard to spot. Go over the metal railing and start from the parking lot making your way over to the left. The trail down is directly in front of the benches, past the railing. There are two routes on the trail you can take. I went down the right side on my first scouting mission there "with no gear" and was sliding around. When I went to scuba there, I took the far left side until I reached almost all the way down and then took the last 20-30ft on the right side. I had no problems from sliding this time. Its by far the hardest trail on the peninsula that I've done, but still very doable.

Bottomtime told me once that his buddy used to do that same route. Are you by chance him?.
That's our Ross. :)

Its by far the hardest trail on the peninsula that I've done, but still very doable.
Wait until you make a night dive at Flat Rock with no Moon out. You may take up knitting as a hobby instead.

Wait until you make a night dive at Flat Rock with no Moon out. You may take up knitting as a hobby instead.

Flat Rock is one of the spots I have yet to dive at. Is it very different the Malaga? I walked down the trail once and went over on the "Flat Rock", to take pictures and drink a beer. The trail is pretty easy until you reach the very end of it. Then there like 25-30ft of really slippery gravel. I have stayed away from doing scuba there for so long because of just that small spot.

3581805402_5fe132de92_o.jpg

The backbone on the trail can break your backbone if you fall. :)

I have a lot of memories hiking down to flat rock when we were younger carrying 9-10' boards. we were to lazy to hike down into the cove and went down to flat rock and just paddled out from there. I think the VIS would be much better at Flat rock compared to Malaga.

Back
Top Bottom