Wrinkles April '07 Dive, BBQ and Campout Planning Thread - Leo Carrillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was certainly fun seeing you all again, and meeting some new faces. :) Shame about the conditions, but we seemed to manage just fine in spite. (And I don't have to wash my gear! neener-neener!)

A couple of topside pictures are attached, one or two showing one reason (of several) why I didn't bother going in...

Attachments

• IMG_3499-crop.jpg
    IMG_3499-crop.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3501-crop.jpg
    IMG_3501-crop.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3505-crop.jpg
    IMG_3505-crop.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3508-crop.jpg
    IMG_3508-crop.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 93
scubapro5:
Everyone was so surprised that wrinkles couldn't get your zipper open:confused: :rofl3:

It wasn't for her lack of trying, I'll tell you that much! :eyebrow:

"Wrinkles" Dive & BBQ

#1 / #2 (#58 & 59 for me)
cove at lifegaurd tower 2 / north beach
12:30 / 15:30
24' fsw / 31' fsw
24 min / 38 min
waves: 3-5' (medium) / 5-7' (powerful)
surge: 2-3' both dives
viz: 2'-3' / 1'-5' (mostly 4')
temp: 54 both dives
Charlie, Robert, Ana, LeeAnne / Adam

Roberts 9th total dive & first beach dive, normal issues in the surf zone, lost my snorkel while Ana and I assisted Roberts entry. Hard to keep our group of three together in bad vis, surfaced several times to regroup. dove the kelp (which is doing very well in Malibu area). saw only I fish which bolted b4 I could ID. Had a seal with us during much of dive, nipped Roberts fin, got in all of our faces and swam / played with us for awhile. normal high surf exit, but Robert got out with just a lil' assist from me while Ana gallantly held my fins.

Long trek back to "camp", burgers and dogs, yummy! Adam had shown up while we were under and wanted to dive. I agreed to go in with him. This was also his first CA beach entry.

Much bigger / stronger waves, closing out pounder style. short but wicked surf zone. We timed the interval and made entry, I donned my fins as soon as I could float (spring straps rock!) and got out without incident. Adam had some trouble with his fins and got nailed by a couple biggies. I went back to help him out and got pounded by a few myself. we eventually got past it and had a nice dive. good structure under the kelp saw a few Nudi's (spanish shawl, lemon drop & IDK's) one good size sand bass and a big calico bass, one kelpfish. one medium lobster (who held up his middle antenna at me), lots of rose anemone, spiny & bat stars plus the other usual suspects. At the turn around I indicated for Adam to lead and he did very well. Exit was again with big surf but we both got out standing up. Woohoo, worth getting wet over.

An adventurous day in the ocean and good times were had by all! Pizza and libations at BJ's in the Valley (ugh) after, where the camaraderie an good natured ribbing continued.

Josh

p.s. Both of the new guys did great, Adam is a local OC'r who posts on the news list, don't hesitate to dive with him, good buddy, listens well and stayed right where he was supposed to be, every time I glanced to my right there he was, even through the kelp. Robert is an LA guy and did great as well.

p.p.s "I saw a rock" bwahhahaha

Nice pic's Kalani, those waves were rock n roll. Fun stuff.

It was great seeing old friends and making new ones!

As always we all had a great time, whether or not we went in.

I look forward to our next Wrinkles Dive (and Post Wrinkles Sunday Boat Dive), which will be in La Jolla on May 12th and 13th.

Don't forget about our Mo2vation Boat Dive in 2 weeks (April 28th) aboard the Raptor with our very own Rickster as DM!

I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

Christian

Back
Top Bottom