Wrinkles November '05 Dive Planning Thread - Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
When will you know if you can make it? I've been looking forward to finally meeting you.

We've met. We talked for a bit at the scuba show, and then at *mumble mumble* (I forget the venue). I guess I have to come to the dive just to remind you...

You guys can actually dive after hitting Luau Larry's? I guess you don't plan on getting your Wiki Wacked (I still don't know what that actually means... and intend to leave it as one of the unsolved mysteries of life. "Man needs the existence of mysteries" per John Fowles in The Magus).

Mo2vation:
I'll likely be coming over on Friday night...
That's the current plan. Anyone else in?

---
Ken
Diving Friday? YEAH!! Probably heading over on a earlier boat and going to splash at the park! I've never dived the park at night, so I'll plan to have a full tank left for that.

Staying at the Hermosa... I guess I'll understand the shirt by Sunday morning, eh??

Diving Saturday with the SoCalKelpie Wrinkly-Wonder-Gang!!! and diving...and diving...and diving. Love that lemming-march down the stairs.

Karaoke?? OMG, no. Walking, talking, star-gazing, laughing... great! Someone has to be the audience, and that would be me.

Diving Sunday: King Neptune sounds great. I'm in! Rezzies needed?? Maybe we could swarm the boat and go someplace awesome, like Little Farnsworth.

I love a good plan!!!
Claudette

radinator:
We've met. We talked for a bit at the scuba show, and then at *mumble mumble* (I forget the venue). I guess I have to come to the dive just to remind you...
A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

I'm sure I'll remember when I see you. It makes it hard to remember when we're in fear of your avatar - the attack opossum. The thing I do remember is that we are practically neighbors.

Christian

Mo2vation:
I'll likely be coming over on Friday night on the 6:40 PM or maybe even the 7:00 PM. If I'm lucky, I'll get over earlier in the afternoon.

<snip>

That's the current plan. Anyone else in?

---
Ken
I've got the same "some boat on Friday" plans that you have.

I'm going to fade in and out of those plans randomly. That's what cell phones are for, right?

I'm up for a decent dinner somewhere along the way if anyone is game for that.

Christian

headhunter:
I've got the same "some boat on Friday" plans that you have.

I'm going to fade in and out of those plans randomly. That's what cell phones are for, right?

I'm up for a decent dinner somewhere along the way if anyone is game for that.

Christian

As in dining? Like grown ups? Sit down? Linens? Vino? Maybe the Steak House, or Armstrongs as a fall back?

Make me go to Antonios for dinner and I'll cut one of your hoses. :wink:

---
Ken

Geez, I'm still trying to comprehend a 3 day weekend when I can relax, and don't have to go get beat up at ADP. And I am NOT doing any weight belt recoveries, or scuba bailouts, or skin DNR's that whole weekend, so don't ask.

Night dive at the park is a definite must do. Looks like the moon will be about 3/4 full, so we can dive by moonlight. :D (Claudette will love that....) But that's all I'm planning. Everything else is play by ear. Although I may do some skindiving practice...

I think I'll bring a two wheeled hand cart so I can walk over to Scuba Luv and get nitrox fills. We can also use it to roll you guys back to the hotel after a night of carousing.

Mo2vation:
As in dining? Like grown ups? Sit down? Linens? Vino? Maybe the Steak House, or Armstrongs as a fall back?

Make me go to Antonios for dinner and I'll cut one of your hoses. :wink:

---
Ken
Yeah, I'm talking all that and beyond a bag of chips. Maybe... all that and a plate of esgarot. I'm talking about a place that would not let you in with your wetsuit pealed half way down with the arms slapping your knees.

I'm definitely not talking about Antonios although it does have it's place in the food chain. It's just not at the top.

The Steak House upstairs is more of what I'm talking about. That would be acceptable and I've enjoyed my dining experience there.

Actually, the place I had in mind was a place that I can't remember the name of. I think it's at the corner of Crescent and Metropole. It's downstairs and has a very nice atmosphere. Maybe Roy can remember the name, he was there.

Shaka and I have been to some great places on Catalina and in San Diego. The man likes fine dining! The food was very good and the service was equally good. I actually didn't expect that nice of a place to be out there.

I'll go see if I can dig out the receipt from the place...

...found it!

Ristorante Villa Portofino
101 Crescent Ave
Avalon CA
(310) 510-2009

It was on the Wrinkles trip in March. We were taken care of by Nicolette who lives on the mainland and commutes to work on the island. I'd ask for her by name (if she still works there).

I just tried calling to see if they have a website, but they don't open until 5PM.

I'll call again later to see if they have their menu online and to see if Nicolette still works there.

Christian

I'm so jealous guys! What a great plan. I'll keep good thoughts going that the weather and vis will be good. I've got 4 weeks left in KY. I hope to make the next one.

headhunter:
I'm talking about a place that would not let you in with your wetsuit pealed half way down with the arms slapping your knees.

Christian

Been to RVP. Not too bad.

Yeah - if I'm staying the weekend, I want to dine one night.

Eat with metal utensils, ceramic plates, cloth napkins, wine not in a tumbler. You know... water in glass stemware and not in frosted plastic cups. Someplace where I'll want to wear a collered shirt.

Sweet. I'm in.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom