wrist compass or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you like to shove your hands into little holes and cracks in the reef trying to grab a lobster, then the wrist mount is the way to go. I figured this out after loosing a wrist mounted computer and compass in a crack after wrestling a nice bug.

Kyle

For most diving I have my computer on my right wrist and my watch on the left. My compass is in a console with my spg and depth gauge. Works like a champ. This is especially good for live boat diving. Everything I need to navigate, control depth and monitor gas level is in one place. Left hand with watch on the wrist is holding the console with everything else. Occasional looks at right wrist with computer. Or, at night hold light with right hand to see everything in left hand.

I got to this after trying various configurations. I suggest you try wrist, console, separate mount on lanyard, or whatever. Use the one that works the best for you.

I like the console. It never leaves home without me. One less thing to lose or forget. As an aside, my two year old compass developed a bubble, which is indicative of a leak. LDS exchanged it on the spot-no charge.

less dangling things makes for a more streamlined setup, i hate dangling consoles, they can be like a sledgehammer to structures you are near
looking at your wrist takes less effort than finding the console.
you can leave it behind.
you can mix and match manufacturers.
you can change the location of the gauges.
you can take it with you when not diving if needed.

dt

dtdiver:
less dangling things makes for a more streamlined setup, i hate dangling consoles, they can be like a sledgehammer to structures you are near...
dt

Consoles don't dangle if they are properly rigged. There are a couple ways to rig a console so it doesn't damage either itself, or anything else.

In fact, to me, a dangling console is a yellow flag making me wonder about the diver's competence.

I wear mine on top my left hand, I find it much more ergonomic, I dive linking my hands and this way I can see compass and computer (right wrist) at the same time without having to alter my swimming position.

Last edited:
I mount mine on a retractor so I can use the compass and refer to my comp which is on the wrist of the hand using the compass. Keeps both in view at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a good question.

I dived for years with a console compass with a retractor. Found it cumbersome.

This year I was determined to improve my marginal compass/nav skills. Bought the new Suunto compass. I have forced myself to use it and become better at NAV. It has helped me alot.

I prefer the wrist. As someone has said, it is one more thing to "lose" and make sure you are comfortable with the compass "band". I find the Suunto's bands to be challenging with heavy gloves.

I've got my depth gauge and compass wrist mounted, as I am trying to streamline and minimize my configuration. I'm also new to diving, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

Back
Top Bottom