Written Checklist vs. Avoiding Shortcuts & Mistakes from Memory/Rushing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For recreational single tank dives, most of the info and pre-dive checks I have memorized. For tech dives I have a couple of laminated checklists that I take with me... A dive planning list (complete with formulas appendix :D) and a pre-dive checklist.

Prior to travel I have an equipment packing list.

As a solo diver I have a set sequence when gearing up that is followed exactly the same every time. My personal rule is that if I forget something I scrap that dive. If I forget something on two dives my diving is over for the day. The reason I don't have a written checklist is that if I forget something my focus is off and I find that out. With a written checklist, my focus could be off and I would not know it.

For a new diver I can see the utility of a written list. Once you get familiar with the process and everything involved you will probably find yourself depending less and less on the list and more on memory.

On the back of my wet notes I have a laminated sheet with
GUE EDGE as
Goal
Unified team
Equipment match

Exposure
Deco
Gas
Environment

Equipment:
Mask/hood
Valve check
Purge/breath primary regulator
Purge breath secondary
Inflate wing/deflate
Dry suit inflate deflate
Light check/ cord tuck
Release/cutting device/weight belt
Right pocket continence (whatever I am carrying
Left pocket continence (whatever I'm carrying again
Fins
DIVE TIME!

This should take about 5 minutes to do everything from top to bottom and hits the dive briefing as well as an equipment check

I love this! Other than the fact that is says GUE in the acronym, I don't see anything here that's "biased", and it's general enough to apply to many different situations. <planning to laminate a copy myself>
You could take this to Kinko's and have them make it up for you. It can go on your wet notes or dive slate. You do carry one of those, right? ;-)

The BWRAF acronym will get you through the gear check pretty well, but it skips the pre-dive planning.

Hello Fred ...

I believe that there is a check list for common items to be packed for a trip in the English language OW Manual and in the PADI logbook (although to be honest, I'm not 100% since the manual was revised this year).

As far as check list before the dive, you may want to redo you e-learning and find the pre-dive safety checklist that you & your dive buddy are to do before each entry.

GUE EDGE

I also have a checklist app on my phone that allows you to create checklists.

I have created a warm water checklist and a coldwater check list.
I also have a camping checklist.

Over time I have gotten to where I don't need it anymore. Now when packing I just visualize putting everything on and make sure I have what I need.

So for our packing list, on a normal 9x11 piece of paper we (wife and I) have printed a list of all our scuba gear (and related gear) we own. It is laminated and we just use a grease pencil when packing stuff. Nothing gets check marked unless is went in the bag, the list can be kind of stupid at times, dive light... check, dive light 2...check...dive light 1 batteries...check...dive light 1 battery test...check... i think you get the idea. It takes us longer getting ready for trips and all that but we know we have everything, it works, and exactly what we don't have. Likewise when we are cleaning it and putting it back into storage we erase the marks on thing at a time, reg needs to be serviced okay don't erase it and add a quick note. That way next time we look at the storage area we can quickly account for it. For pre-dives I have a notecard that is laminated that is similar to GUE EDGE but think I might steal that now.

As mentioned above, I always do the BWRAF checklist.

Buoyancy
Weight
Releases
Air
Final Check

It's hardly exhaustive, but covers most of the rec kit, as long as it is used thoroughly, so buoyancy includes both BCD and Drysuit, all inflators and all air dumps. Used properly it shouldn't allow anyone to jump (sorry stride...) in without making sure air is on, drysuit is zipped... and ensures some familiarity with the buddies gear. (As much as is possible in a couple of minutes)

I think the reason the dive agencies don't encourage recreational divers to use a written checklist is that there's a tradeoff between how cumbersome a system is and how likely divers are to use it consistently. If the agencies' goal is to ensure that divers do a pre-dive check every time, maybe they figure that encouraging the use of a relatively short list that can be recalled with a mnemonic device like "BWRAF" is more likely to result in divers utilizing it consistently than if they were to encourage the use of a more comprehensive written checklist. In other words, better to do the minimum on every dive than to do the maximum on only some dives and skip it entirely on others. By all means, feel free to create whatever kind of checklist you believe would be useful to you. I've never witnessed a recreational diver using a written checklist, but I would be impressed if I did.

Long shot I know, but GrandpaScuba, you wouldn't happen to still have your slate would you? I'd be interested to know what the checklist consisted of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom