WTK: DSS/TDL Backplate Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentFrazier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a comparison between the DSS and TDL backplates. Has anyone tried both?

My usage would be single tank, wet diving, mostly recreational. I'm returning to diving after being inactive for a couple of years. I never liked the "recreational" BC's, so I'm looking to go with a hogarthian setup.

Thanks,

Kent

KentFrazier:
I'm looking for a comparison between the DSS and TDL backplates. Has anyone tried both?

My usage would be single tank, wet diving, mostly recreational. I'm returning to diving after being inactive for a couple of years. I never liked the "recreational" BC's, so I'm looking to go with a hogarthian setup.

Thanks,

Kent

Kent,

You will find that all backplates are similar. There are many fine examples produced today, you'd be hard pressed to buy a "bad" one.

Having said that there are differences. Overall shape, overall size, overall bend angle, center channel depth, finish, accessory holes, etc.

DSS plates are offered in 5 sizes, and two materials. Our plates have been optomised for use with single tanks while retaining the capablity to mount doubles.

With our plate and wing there is no requirement for a STA.

Please let me know if you have DSS specific questions I can address.

Tobin

Tobin,

Thank you for the quick reply. I can't think of any specific DSS questions... I've been reading the forums about backplates for some time now. Unfortunately, where I live there is no LDS that sells backplates of any kind. The closest is about a two hours drive, and at this point, I'm not willing to make the drive.

Your plate has been top on my list. I only recently heard about TDL and the fact that their plates were available in colors caught my attention.

Kent

Kent,

I dive a plate and had I a need to buy a new one, I'd buy Tobin's. As for color, consider this, it will be covered up with a wing and tank. Only time the color will be seen is when it's off and you should be able to recognize your own gear anyway.

You can also put some kind of neat little thing on that makes it yours. In my case I have a rubber shark that dives with me everywhere I go. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom