XDEEP Black BT Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honest feedback and good observations.

I'm still curious about the OLED display. The Xen OLED has a 2 yr approximate screen life. Pissed about that as well as a large number of folks I dive with. LV still won't acknowledge the issue. Could this also be an issue with the xblack BT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still curious about the OLED display. The Xen OLED has a 2 yr approximate screen life. Pissed about that as well as a large number of folks I dive with. LV still won't acknowledge the issue. Could this also be an issue with the xblack BT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure about LV's spec, but usually a display manufacture will spec the constant usage in full brightness in hours. So by "2 year life", it really mean 15,000-20,000 hours of constant usage. It is pretty typical for OLED (smart phones) and plasma display (TVs). LCD with LED back lite (TV and computer monitors) usually has life of 50K hours. The definition is time to reach half brightness. Take OLED as example, it means after 15k-20K hours of constant use, the OLED will be half as bright as new. It doesn't mean it will stop working.

For a dive computer, I think the chance of battery dying, flooding due to o-ring degrade, other mechanical part stop working .. will be much more likely to screen reach it end of life.

Thank you for your reply. And yes that was my thoughts too regarding the half life of an OLED display. I can assure you that I didn't run the Xen continually for 2 yrs. Lol. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I truly wanted to buy the xdeep black BT. But my Xen died and I've waited a yr for the xdeep black, not pre order but ready to ship when I pay. I do need a easy to read BT to mount on my scooter, so I'll keep an eye on the xdeep threads. For now I'm very happy with the Petrel I bought last week. Maybe after I see some divers Southern California use them I'll reconsider. I learned my lesson with LV.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2014 at 12:19 AM ----------

Southern California divers

Thank you for your reply. And yes that was my thoughts too regarding the half life of an OLED display. I can assure you that I didn't run the Xen continually for 2 yrs. Lol. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I truly wanted to buy the xdeep black BT. But my Xen died and I've waited a yr for the xdeep black, not pre order but ready to ship when I pay. I do need a easy to read BT to mount on my scooter, so I'll keep an eye on the xdeep threads. For now I'm very happy with the Petrel I bought last week. Maybe after I see some divers Southern California use them I'll reconsider. I learned my lesson with LV.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2014 at 12:19 AM ----------

Manufacturer gave us his "tested parameter" of 12.000 hours of a oled screen life time (no changes in brightness nor colors displayed should be seen) , not shortened by shelve time.

... I do need a easy to read BT to mount on my scooter, so I'll keep an eye on the xdeep threads.

So here is some sweet preview for you bud.

20141102_094617.jpg20141102_094627.jpg20141102_094635.jpg20141102_094644.jpg

Manufacturer gave us his "tested parameter" of 12.000 hours of a oled screen life time (no changes in brightness nor colors displayed should be seen) , not shortened by shelve time.
I'm guessing that's a comma and not a period in the hours of OLED life. 12,000 vs 12.000 hrs. Thank you for the photos looks good.

The key is that human eye usually notice a change in brightness in a exponential way, meaning human will see a noticeable decrease in brightness when the actual brightness is reduced by about 50%. So yes, there is definitely a change in brightness and color after 12K hours of usage, but all practical purpose, human will not likely don't notice. For OLED, usually it is the blue color degrade first. A good OLED manufacture will quote the life based on blue channel, not the average brightness.

Having that said, a 12K hour usage is a lot. If you do a 2 hours dive every day, it is ~700hours a year. A 12K hours is almost 20 years of this kind of diving habit. For a piece of electrincs, I think most people will replace it long before that.

Unless it's a LV product, they quote their OLED half life in dog yrs time 10 lol. But hey they were able to sell the company before the screens went out. Not their problem anymore.

Surely xDeep made an effort to implement and search for best OLED screen we could find and buy for this device, but not only that as we didn't compromise on battery requesting custom built for our purpose, same values are seen throughout all xdeep equipment, i.e three different kinds of webbing in one sidemount system just for comfort, search for best materials or simple things like bungee cords etc. (stretch, durability) so quality its definitely one of company's strong values. Nobody can 10 yrs from now we can only relay on given data and take care of eventual inconveniences if they appear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom