XL4 vs XTX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam.22

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

Looking for recommendations, I am looking to upgrade by regs and have seen very good thins about both the XL4 and XTX200.

I have found these with the XTX being around £100 more then the XL4.

I dive single tank and will only be diving to recreational limits.

I like to look and the idea of the smaller lighter 2nd stage and not sure if i will need the breathing adjustment. I also like the fact that the XL4 has a soft exhaust to help avoid damages when packing away gear and in case they are dropped.

On the other hand i know the XTX are some of the best regs on the market but do I really need them for the type of diving i will be doing?

Is there anything to justify paying the extra for the XTX?

For basic recreational diving, the XL4 is great. Anything more I would go for the XTX200. If you see yourself down the road going to tec or sidemount or anything more than single tank diving, maybe consider getting the xtx200 now.
I have had a number of small issues with the XL4 in cold (VERY cold) water, but as long as you're diving in water above roughly 8*C it should be a great reg for you. Also great for travel :)

I’d go for a XTX50 myself.

The tools required for servicing the XL4 kill it for me. I also like adjustment knob as I tend to tune my own regs pretty hot. I do hear it's a nice breather though, but it would not be any better than an XTX 50. For the record though I'm coming at it from a DIY perspective.

XTX50 second stage is a better buy given it's identical to the XTX200 save cosmetics. FSR is my Apeks first stage pick for single tank back mount.

I have both, XL4 and XTX 200, my opinion there are not different with recreational limits.
If you're looking for a scuba regulator that's easy to pack and carry, I prefer xl4. It's a lot lighter and smaller than the xtx200

Back
Top Bottom