Xz 1 with wet macro lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timthefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an xz1 with focus light and strobe . I have already got 1 wet macro lens but am just about to add another. I was wondering whether I need to zoom in when using macro lenses , I have never bothered before but I keep reading about zooming in. I am happy with the quality of my pictures but I would like more magnification

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

Yes you should zoom out to your maximum zoom range to get the best results.

Also when you use wet lenses you have to remember that the camera will be taking a photo of the virtual image - that is the image create on the lens - and not the subject, therefore you have to get the image sharp in the LCD before you try and focus the camera.

To do this you move the camera back and forth until the image appears sharp it the LCD screen and then focus the camera.

Also remember that:

1. By adding the wet lens you are reducing the working distance from the subject, so if you close focus distance is say 15cm then when you add a wet lens this distance will reduce to say 10cm, plus the more wet lenses you add (stack) the greater that reduction in distance is.

2. With the wet lenses your working distance is reduced once you are in focus - by that I mean once you focus the lens and camera (so the image is sharp) if you move - even slightly - it will go out of focus quickly and the greater the magnification the less 'working distance' you have, so using these lenses in a current or surge can be tricky.

3. With wet lenses you have a reduced depth of field and the greater the magnification the less depth of field you have.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Thanks. Had a quick play on dry land and very much looking forward to some more close up macro on the next dive, once the storms have died down

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom