Yap & Palau in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fldivejunkie

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I am planning to head to Yap & Palau in early November, staying about a week in each place. Tentatively planning on staying at Manta Ray Bay in Yap and Plantation Resort in Palau (as much as I love diving, I want to explore the land too). Does anyone have any "must do" activities, places to see, dive sites? Anything/places I should stay away from?

Also, if anyone wants to join me, you're more than welcome (the more the merrier). I may have an acquaintance (male) go, but a female roomate would be more than welcome (the single rate is a killer). :11:

we stayed & dived with Manta Bay hotel/Yap Divers and was very very happy with the place, dive op and staff

in yap you go for mantas but dont miss the mandarin twilight dive, especially if youre a photographer. my advice is to dive it at least twice. 1st time to figure out the mandarins and the 2nd time to get the better shot

we stayed & dived with Manta Bay hotel/Yap Divers and was very very happy with the place, dive op and staff

in yap you go for mantas but dont miss the mandarin twilight dive, especially if youre a photographer. my advice is to dive it at least twice. 1st time to figure out the mandarins and the 2nd time to get the better shot
I'll definitely do that . . . .I am looking forward to taking pictures of all the exotics and mandrinfish are right up at the top of the list.

Thank you for your advice. I really do appreciate it.

oh, and at manta bay hotel, at the front desk will have tour options for you, eg, village tour or kayak excusion ect

We did kayaking in both Palau & Yap on our last trip there. I would highly recommend doing that as well. The kayak shop at Sam's Tours in Palau was excellent. If you have the opportunity ask for TJ as a kayak dive. He is young Palaun that is highly knowledgeable of local customs and island life. We went kayaking twice, once with TJ and once with another guide and TJ was much better.
We also stayed at MRB hotel in Yap and they were excellent. As already mentioned, the front desk has sign ups for the somewhat limited island activities. There is a cultural tour that is quite interesting that you probably don't want to miss.

Jellyfish lake, kayaking, sushi, mandrinfish .. . .I can remember that. I wish it was November already.

No Brian, I've never been, but have always wanted to. My goal is a new destination every year so hopefully I will come close to seeing all the places I want to go.

and whatever you do... dont mistake the mandarin fish for sushi!!!! :D
I don't think I'll have too much problem with that one . . . . I like my food dead and completely cooked. Besides, they're way too pretty to eat. :blinking:

I'll assume you'll be flying through Guam. Don't miss diving there!!!

In Apra Harbor, there's a WW2 vessel (Tokai Maru) that was bombed and sank literally an arm's length away from a WW1 vessel (SMS Cormoran). There's no other place in the world where you can dive a WW1 vessel and WW2 vessel on the same dive.

Additionally, the Kitsugawa Maru is in the harbor and outside the harbor, there are great reefs with excellent viz (although I stuck to the wrecks).

I did my dives with Guam & Micronesia Pacific Scuba Diving. and worked with a lady named Cindy. All I did was show-up, analyze my tanks, and off I went diving. They' were excellent to work with.

Back
Top Bottom