Yearly Reg servicing can damage them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi:
Its been my experience that shops use an ultrasonic cleaner to remove any "Crud".

As if even the most industrial ultrasonic cleaner would be enough, we're talking about a guy that goes 5+ years between servicings now.

Brass picks, careful techs, annual service - IMHO

I service a lot of Scubapro's and I tend to find on the older models that if I leave them in for longer than a minute the chrome will start comming off and the brass will turn red. And of corse red=bad so I prefer to wire brish it off gently unless its in a place where the piston contacts the metal, in those spots I will leave it in a little longer. Of corse it all depends on the condition of the reg. I've seen some so bad that I pored the salt water out of the reg when I removed the dust cap. And for plastic parts I usually just rinse the diaphragm and sonic clean the other plastic parts for 30 sec.

Just for everyone most techs try there hardest to not damage your reg or shorten its life in anyway, but if you cant take care of it properly sometimes the only way to clean it is to put it in the sonic for a little longer or use the wire brush.

Ok
now to send this thread in another direction

there is a high rate of failures right after service
I know many divers that use apeks first stages for 3 years
then off to ebay

also do you notice that dive shops always push the once a year service ,, but not checking the IP pressure
I check mine before every day of diving

dive safe

mark

I do my own and I don't have any failures right after servicing.

I have a us divers conshelf14 regulator that I still dive with.it is almost 18 years old. when I dive it I soak it in the tub with wet suit shampoo. the only thing I ever replaced on it was the diaphram. I went through dive equipment and maintance school while I was a navy diver in the navy, so I am quilified to strip down this reg. when I do the parts are so clean and in great shape. still diving this reg. any questions feel free to ask. it all comes down to "do you take care of your gear" if you do it will always be there for you.--- Dan

I wouldn't want wet suit shampoo in my reg.

I also wouldn't use paper towels and q-tips on first stage parts as some one mentioned in an earlier post. Paper and cotton burn pretty well and I use high FO2 mixes.

CD_in_Chitown:
As if even the most industrial ultrasonic cleaner would be enough, we're talking about a guy that goes 5+ years between servicings now.

Brass picks, careful techs, annual service - IMHO
Good point, I overlooked the "5 year plan" part. Intresting that someone would feel comfortable with that long of a time between services. Even if one only dives twice a year, 5 years is a long time. o rings get brittle, high pressure seats take a deeper set................

I wonder if these same people are religious about changing the oil in their car every 3,000 miles......

mikswi:
Good point, I overlooked the "5 year plan" part. Intresting that someone would feel comfortable with that long of a time between services. Even if one only dives twice a year, 5 years is a long time. o rings get brittle, high pressure seats take a deeper set................

Viton o-ring shelf life rated in Parker Bros cat for up to 20 years. HP seats should take no set in storage. I clean my regs well, store with 2nd withpressure relieved on LP seat and get at least 3 and sometimes 5 years between major overhaul. I do clean & lub every year or 2. I can see someone going 5 years with good care and limited diving.

Tekdiver10:
I service a lot of Scubapro's and I tend to find on the older models that if I leave them in for longer than a minute the chrome will start comming off and the brass will turn red. And of corse red=bad so I prefer to wire brish it off gently unless its in a place where the piston contacts the metal, in those spots I will leave it in a little longer...

... Just for everyone most techs try there hardest to not damage your reg or shorten its life in anyway, but if you cant take care of it properly sometimes the only way to clean it is to put it in the sonic for a little longer or use the wire brush.

I have not had a problem with losing chrome off older SP regs with ultrsound - unless they are already badly corroded in which case the chrome is toast anyway.

I had a reg come in this weekend that had not been serviced in 12 years. The first stage was in bad shape and took 3 hours to clean and service. It was a case where the guy dove the reg until it would not work anymore, stored it in the garage several more years and then decided it was time to get it serviced. It was a slow day and I was up for a challenge. On a busy day I would have handed it back and advised him to either buy another reg or wait until I get really bored this winter if he really wants it salvaged.

Back
Top Bottom