Yes!!! [Warning: Dark and Morbid humor]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it's a tough thing to make light of but on the other side it puts closure to the surviving loved ones and that's why I want to do it. No, it's not going to be easy and as mentioned already, quite challenging. The scenario above, though grim, is sadly pretty close to reality I am guessing. I guess I always knew in the back of my head that this is one of many reasons I got into diving in the first place... Just glad i have the opportunity.

Thanks for all your comments, I'll let you know how it goes. Not the details, but in general.

I met some of these guys at DEMA this year - special people. Come back to this out-of-control post and give us an update when you get back tomorrow.

NOW - O-Ring..YOU SUCK

I'm cleaning coffee off my monitor and my laptop from your post, and jeeze, I may have soiled myself, too.

"..I would probably rig some bolt snaps to Fido and clip him off like a stage...." This is so damn funny on so many levels...I can't even go into it. I gotta go change.

k

It is quite morbid when I was laughing the whole time I was writing that post, but it does hold some truth I guess.

But strapping Fido to a D ring..now that is frickin hysterical..lolol

I dont think I would mind dragging dead people up. Lets keep this conversation on the down low......PADI might create a specialty course.

Deceased Diver Elevation Speciality (DDES)

You will learn to:

Remove all valuables off of the diver before surfacing.

Learn to hide to valuables underwater and by taking PADI's Navigational Specialty, learn to find them again. Take PADI's Search and Recovery course to learn how to elevate the valuables from the dead.

PADI's PPB course will teach you to not bump into the deceased, as there skin will slide right off.

PADI's DDES is the course to take for anyone interested in retrieving dead corpses, stuffed animals, or real animals.

PADI realizes that equipment is the key to success, so special D rings are supplied to clip animals too.

Contact your local PADI dive shop today and ask to take the DDES. Working in conjuntion with the local morgue, your dive shop will create a real 'life' experience for you to enjoy.

*edited* - offensive content removed with my apologies to any offended readers..

Yes, it is very important that your corpse, animal and all your gear are streamlined. Excessive drag might wear you out, after all your doing all the work...your soo called buddies are just hanging around. Heck the corpse is riding your draft.

2" webbing (GAD - no Velcro) Bent D-rings, the whole 9...

Hmmm.... I should call Petco

MNScuba

Good luck to you in your training. It takes a special kind of person to do the work.

My husband trained as a SAR diver in Florida. During the very end of his training he was called in to helped to retrieve one person from a cave (as he was just waiting for his final paperwork to be processed). This he managed to do but it did did not make him a fan on SAR (yes he was cave certified).

Shortly thereafter (his paperwork was through) he had to find someone in a complete silt out situation. He dealt with the silt out just fine (in this case it wasn't in a cave and he was only in about 12 feet of water and knew he could come up if he lost his way). He did find the body . . .and err. . . um. . . let's just say that he could smell the body first. He never worked at SAR SCUBA again.

If you'd like to talk to him about it, PM me and we'll try and get the two of you together to chat as we also live in Minnesota.

Good luck to you pal in your endeavour...I have seen a body come up after being under for bout a week..............:bonk:

The rest of you guys...ggeeesssshhhhhh...............you aare all proof that nitrogen build up does stay with you and over time you become perma-bent in the noggin..........:bonk:

ROTFLOL !!!!! In a morbid way :boom: :boom:

MNScuba, like Mike said, I don't know if to congratulate you or not, its a job not for everybody.
Forget buoyancy control, forget trim, its not diving, its doing a job underwater. You will be diving heavy, on theder, alone, with a tender on shore, in zero vis with your eyes closed feeling with your hands and legs in the muck, that's where the body is. Among bicecles, shopping carts, bobbed wire, razor wire, occasional dumped weapon, trees, mud slides, snapper trutles and everything imaginable that people would dump in the water. Make sure the dept provides good training. I have seen too many psd die in the process of recovery of a dead body. Remember, when the job is done, YOU have to go home.

Don't get caught up in the machismo that sometimes goes along with public safety dive teams. We do some entry level training for several of the teams in our area and therefore get to dive with them on some training dives. Most of them are great public employees doing an excellent job with a tough task but i have seen some situations where the suit running the dive puts the divers at un-necessary risk.

It's a risky job but you should never dive beyond your own self established level of acceptable risk or training. Not all managers in public safety think that way.

O-ring & jepuskar,

You guys don't have anything in your freezers that you should let the authorities know about do you?:tease:

Back
Top Bottom