Yet another how many...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

44 is not to old. I started American Kenpo when I was 49. Trained for about 5 years, 3 times a week, which included 4 minute sparring rounds with excercises & kicking drills in between. It had me in the best shape of my life. I was about a month from testing for my black belt when my knees swelled up from psuedogout and I haven't been able to do it since; can't run or bike either. Scuba Diving and swimming are OK though. I really miss it.
Man, that sucks- 1 month before testing! Kenpo, if I recall right, is a pretty aggressive art, so its no wonder you were in such good shape.
Sorry about your knee- a lot of knee issues in this thread. Glad you are swimming, as it can be a very good workout too- second only to cross country skiing in terms of aerobic exercise/calories burned.
I run myself. I have a 1/2 marathon in Vegas in December. I will begin upping my mileage soon as the heat breaks.
Spencer

I started taking DanZan Ryu JuJitsu in preparation for an underwater self defense (mizujitsu) earlier this year. I had a great instructor and learned some fundamentals. I did find the rolls and falls to be a bit difficult on the body, but with a little bit of coaching and very patient instruction...The folks who did the mizujitsu course were very welcoming and helped me along. So, yes, it can be done.

On another though, have you considered becoming an instructor. I boxed for many years and started getting more into coaching as I aged up. Today I coach youngsters in basic boxing techniques (although I am no longer a certified amateur coach as the program in Alaska evaporated) and find it very rewarding. It is a great workout for me working with focus mitts, heavy bags, ringmanship, etc and I don't have to get hit to do it....

I started taking DanZan Ryu JuJitsu in preparation for an underwater self defense (mizujitsu) earlier this year. I had a great instructor and learned some fundamentals. I did find the rolls and falls to be a bit difficult on the body, but with a little bit of coaching and very patient instruction...The folks who did the mizujitsu course were very welcoming and helped me along. So, yes, it can be done.

On another though, have you considered becoming an instructor. I boxed for many years and started getting more into coaching as I aged up. Today I coach youngsters in basic boxing techniques (although I am no longer a certified amateur coach as the program in Alaska evaporated) and find it very rewarding. It is a great workout for me working with focus mitts, heavy bags, ringmanship, etc and I don't have to get hit to do it....
Okay, mizujitsu- that was a new one for me. Had to look it up and I must admit it sounded questionable to me until I read this:
Hawaii JuJitsu KoDenKai - MizuJitsu - Scuba & Water Safety Course
Pretty interesting. I bet many a lifeguard would be interested in this.
The coaching idea is a pretty good notion. I may be deranged, but I don't mind getting hit too much. In fact, if I'm really into a sparing match I rather enjoy it as long as nothing gets broken or knocked off.
Spencer

Dang! Sorry dude. Did you blow it out doing the art?
Spencer

Yep, jump front kick. Knee just buckled when I landed. Two surgeries and many years later it's fine now but I don't think it could handle all the jumping and kicking in that style anymore. Oh, well - I'm living a less aggressive incarnation now anyway.

Good luck if you decide to get back into it.:wink:

I have training in JoKenDude and RunFah. If JoKen doesn't diffuse a situation, then I have to rely on the RunFah, and hope that I can out-Run the other guy.

I have training in JoKenDude and RunFah. If JoKen doesn't diffuse a situation, then I have to rely on the RunFah, and hope that I can out-Run the other guy.
LOL!
I used to assist in a women's self defense class. The instructor used to tell them to learn to run 2 10 minute miles, suggesting that your average person can't run a mile, much less 2 miles. Good advise I think.

I have studied and taught Jeet Kune Do for 30 years. I'm 48 now and have done both diving and martial arts for ten years. I am slowing down a bit now and everything hurts more and longer than when I was younger. Check out the old man at Total Approach Jeet Kune Do - Home

I have studied and taught Jeet Kune Do for 30 years. I'm 48 now and have done both diving and martial arts for ten years. I am slowing down a bit now and everything hurts more and longer than when I was younger. Check out the old man at Total Approach Jeet Kune Do - Home
That is the one art I wish I could study the most. Not any places near me that teaches it purely.
I've read just about everything Lee wrote on it.
I was ruined after I saw Return of the Dragon when I was about 8 years old. Lived on a farm. After that, there was not a goat, cow, or horse that was not subject to a round house to the head for months :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom