Yet Another Noob Intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,
My name is Mark. I've been reading the forums for a while, and finally decided to create an account and jump in. :dork2:
I'm a 48 year old RN/CCEMT-P from Colorado. My wife is also an RN/CCEMT-P. We've always loved to travel, but until 2008 had always traveled in the US and Europe. In May, 2008 my wife and I discovered Cancun. Not wanting to spend our entire trip laying on the beach, we booked several activities through the resort. One of them was a snorkeling trip. We loved it. So we signed up for a trip on the Atlantis. Loved it. Signed up for a BOB (basically an air bubble with a motor attached) trip, supervised by divers. Loved it. But neither of us felt like we were part of the environment during any of this.

Fast forward to May 2009. This trip we spent one day fishing (Tuna, Snapper, Mahi-Mahi and a 4'10" Baracuda). Then we signed up for the resort course at one of the dive shops. Some pool time, and then the ocean. Enjoyed it so much that we canceled most of our other plans (except for CocoBongo....) and did two-tank dives just about every day for the rest of our trip. We didn't keep log books, but those are memories I call up frequently.

We're returning in May 2010, and plan to do our PADI OW certs at that time. We've done the elearning, and will continue to study so that we'll be as ready as possible to make some bubbles when we get to Cancun in 104 days (not that I'm counting...). I suspect we'll be what you call "vacation divers", since Colorado, while home to some of the most stunning sights in the world, is lacking in dive opportunities.

Our other money pits... I mean hobbies... are Tae Kwon Do, breaking the Jeep on the toughest (and most scenic) trails we can find, and breaking the car at the track.

Dirtydog, welcome to ScubaBoard. . . This is the place for you! You've been to Cancun. In the summer months try Isle de Mujeres (?) near by, There is shallow clear diving from the island, and fast boats to the daily travels of whale sharks. Monstrous plankton eating sharks, you can swim with, but don't touch, Mexican law and enforced.

Follow the Mexican Riviera south to multiple dive sites for a variety of diving with Turtles, Sharks, coral reefs and tropical fish. There are numerous dive shops to choose from. Some good and some not so good. They are talked about daily on the boards, At the top of the page, click on the "Forums" button and watch the world of diving open up. Looking down the list are thousands of divers, new and experienced, talking about training, and answering questions.

Keep going down the list to "Regional Travel and Dive Clubs". From here you can read comments from other Colorado divers. . . look under "United States". . .western states. For your vacation information. drop below the United States and Open up "Mexico" There you will find people talking about the Pacific and the Caribbean sides of Mexico. Look for Mayan Riviera, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Puerta Adventuras, Tulum, and Cenotes (caverns). This is only the start of all the great diving you can experience from Cancun.

Dive shops are frequently talked about, and several stand out for their care of their divers. Read and email a couple of the best ones to see what you'll like.

There is also, a sub category under Mexico, for Cozumel island. One of the top diving locations in the world. Diving on the mainland is fantastic, diving the island is spectacular. Read both forums, email the dive operators, ask how many people will be on their boat, if beginning divers are separated from experienced divers, is a separate dive master available for your first dives. . . It's all here on the board. . . welcome

Oh, one thing you and your wife can do. . . carry some supplies. Many people on vacation, take vacations from common sense and get hurt. For years I've carried a plastic welding rod holder, about 4 inches in diameter and 13 inches long. A screw top against a rubber O-ring has kept roller gauze, 4x4's and other supplies dry and uncrushed for years. You can find them in the tools area of Home depot and Lowes they have them near the welding supplies.

welcome to SB

Thanks for the welcome. I'll certainly be checking the areas you mentioned.

Our diving thus far has been with an Alvaro Gonzales. I don't remember the name of the shop, but he runs AlwaysDiving.com and seemed very knowledgable (which is easy, I know, given our total ignorance), and made my wife (who tends to be a worrier) feel very relaxed. If anybody else has had contact with him, we'd love to hear your experiences.

Last year, Cancun was practically empty thanks to the swine flu media frenzy, so our dives were very small. On one dive, there was Alvaro, my wife and I (on our 4th dive), another man with no experience, and a PADI AOW lady from Russia. The rest of the dives where just the three of us. His normal rule, as I understand it, is not more than 4 noobs per instructor.

Welcome to SB. This site is a wealth of diving knowledge and most posters are very helpful. Be careful though, it can be a serious time drain.

Have fun.

PH

Back
Top Bottom