Yet another reason why Soccer sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ:
Larry Allen. Dallas Cowboys. Benches 700 pounds.

You read that right.

Squats 900.

And runs the 40 in 4.77

Some wussie! Any soccer/rugby/Aussie rules boys want to make that attempt?

To put things in rugby perspective, Larry Allen makes Jonah Lomu look like a pygmy. Trust me on this one...

ScubaTexan:
To put things in rugby perspective, Larry Allen makes Jonah Lomu look like a pygmy. Trust me on this one...

And they do those types of speeds, springs, and other physical training for quite a bit longer than 40 minutes during weekly training camps. :)

There is a reason the only position a soccer player can ever transition to in football is the kicker position. Martin Gramatica of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.. the smallest man there, former soccer guy..

CBulla:
And they do those types of speeds, springs, and other physical training for quite a bit longer than 40 minutes during weekly training camps.

As do professional rugby players. Simple fact is in american football the players get a short rest every minute or so and longer rests for end of quarters. They are never required to put 100% in for 40+ minutes at a time.

There is a reason the only position a soccer player can ever transition to in football is the kicker position. Martin Gramatica of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.. the smallest man there, former soccer guy..

Given the differences between soccer (a non contact sport played by kicked a ball) and american football thats not exactly surprising is it.

Not surprising at all.. I could be a footie star at my height, but in American football I would be a ragdoll thrashed around... which is why I wrestled greco roman :wink:

CBulla:
And they do those types of speeds, springs, and other physical training for quite a bit longer than 40 minutes during weekly training camps. :)

pshhh please. Even my team runs longer than 40 minutes during practice (daily), I'd be surprised if they didn't have to, but the point is they can't run that fast for nearly as long as a soccer player can. They may be able to lift 700 lbs or whatever but who cares, any moron off the street can train and make themselves strong and run around a field knocking people down with 2 minute breaks between plays. The truth is there are only a few positions in (american)football you need real skill to play. Everything else is just a compitition of morons with padding hitting each other. In (american)soccer everyone needs skill to play. Nice try, though. :wink:

You know, I was watching some Brazil soccer this week (like I've had much else to do except sit around) and I noticed that there are an aweful lot of guys just standing around for most of the game. Only a few guys were running at any given time.. the rest just stood around yelling at their buddies who were.

Something else I was thinking about is that runners in shape vs. power atheletes are two different animals. Completely different builds and they burn energy differently.

Honestly, the only athelete I really respect is Lance Armstrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom