(Yet Another) Which Drysuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkatchalov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, to start off, I have read/searched SB and other sites on different brands and models of DS. I got a lot of useful information.

What I'd like to know is to hear from various DS owners and get the experience & input into what they do and don't like about their DS (either current or past).

My diving - Melbourne, Australia. Ocean, wrecks (no penetration now, but likely in about 6 months), deep (40 meters) maybe some caves down the track (unlikely in the short term). Ocean temps get down to 10 celcius in winter and about 20 celcius in summer. I am currently OW but am doing down AOW in Jan and Deep a couple of months after. I want a suit that will keep me comfortable at the maximum depths that I will reach. Based on my experience @ 20m with a semidry 7mm suit, a wet (or semi dry) suit just ain't gonna cut it.

My DS criteria - must keep me warm, dry & mobile give my diving profile above, must be good for travel (relatively light, easy to pack, dries quickly), must be durable & lasting (assuming I don't tear/damage it myself), must be versatile (I want to be able to dive 10 degree (Celcius) and 27 degree water in the same suit, only changing the undergarments I have underneath)

I have narrowed down my choice to a Pinnacle Evolution 2 or a Bare Nex-Gen Pro. Evo is much more expensive than the Bare.

What I was looking for was:

* Is there any wet/semi-dry suit that could keep you comfortably warm @ 40m in 10 degree (Celcius) water

* Of the Evo and Bare, which is the better suit and why. Or if you have either one of those, what do you/dont you like about them.

* Is the Evo 2 THAT much better than the Bare (if at all) to justify such a huge price premium?

* Am I correct about my trilam assumption (best for travel) above? Are there other DS materials that will meet my travel criteria?

Thanks.

If you're going to be using the suit for "multi-purpose" meaning wide range of temps & bottom times, you will probably be better off buying a shell suit. Then you can mix & match undies depending on what type of diving your doing from day to day. I dive a Whites Catalyst & can't say enough good about it. I have several sets of undies that I'll mix, match & layer depending on temps & run times.

I'm sure there are plenty of thick wetsuits & semi-dry suits that will keep you comfortable in 10 deg. C for 40 minutes. Odds are, though, that whatever suit that is, won't work for 80 minutes w/ deco in 10deg C waters. So if your plan is to move into tech/long bottom times, the shell suit with the gazillion options for undies will surely suit your needs no matter what you're diving.

As far as travel concerns, neoprene Drysuits will weigh quite a bit more & take up a bit more space in the suitcase.

If you're going to be using the suit for "multi-purpose" meaning wide range of temps & bottom times, you will probably be better off buying a shell suit. Then you can mix & match undies depending on what type of diving your doing from day to day. I dive a Whites Catalyst & can't say enough good about it. I have several sets of undies that I'll mix, match & layer depending on temps & run times.

I'm sure there are plenty of thick wetsuits & semi-dry suits that will keep you comfortable in 10 deg. C for 40 minutes. Odds are, though, that whatever suit that is, won't work for 80 minutes w/ deco in 10deg C waters. So if your plan is to move into tech/long bottom times, the shell suit with the gazillion options for undies will surely suit your needs no matter what you're diving.

As far as travel concerns, neoprene Drysuits will weigh quite a bit more & take up a bit more space in the suitcase.

Thanks Dirk. I do intend to move to tech and your comments re: deco for 80mnutes make sense. I certainly dont want to buy 2 or 3 suits over the next 5 years and would just like to have one.

When you say "shell" do you mean trilam? Or is there another type of shell suit?

Thanks.

* Is there any wet/semi-dry suit that could keep you comfortably warm @ 40m in 10 degree (Celcius) water

Not me personally but there are several people who would be plenty comfortable in a 7mil farmer john - though probably not many on a long dive with deco.

I don't like attached attached boots - much prefer socks - or in my case turbo soles. So the Evo2 wouldn't be a great option for me - but I've seen the suit up close and looks nice otherwise. My wife's Nex Gen is nice but definitely not as nice as my TLS350. I found a good deal on a used one - and replaced my very cheap Dacor suit I bought to see if I'd like diving dry.

Not me personally but there are several people who would be plenty comfortable in a 7mil farmer john - though probably not many on a long dive with deco.

I don't like attached attached boots - much prefer socks - or in my case turbo soles. So the Evo2 wouldn't be a great option for me - but I've seen the suit up close and looks nice otherwise. My wife's Nex Gen is nice but definitely not as nice as my TLS350. I found a good deal on a used one - and replaced my very cheap Dacor suit I bought to see if I'd like diving dry.

How do you like you TLS timle? Do you think it is a better suit than the Evo2 based on your experience?

How do you like you TLS timle? Do you think it is a better suit than the Evo2 based on your experience?

TLS is more delicate and will puncture more easily, weather you plan it or not, in comparison with Evo 2 (I have it, it is tough as nails). I definetly appreciate the extra protection.

BTW, I payed less for Evo 2 then I'd pay for Bare Trilam HD without the hood, the really not useful pockets and suspenders, so I guess it depends on the region.

TLS will probably pack easier though as it's lighter material.

You can check out photos of Evo 2 in my profile gallery, the link below my avatar, not the one in my sig.

Thanks evil, I've read your posts on the Evo2 with interest.

What are the negatives of this suit that you've come across?

Also, how heavy/bulky is it (when dry and folded)?

Thanks.

Well, nothing negative up to now, I can assume that people with bigger butts will have a bit of a problem entering it, as it of such cut, plus it has an elastic waist in the back. The ML size, even if I doubted it will be a tad too long or wide in the waist, isn't. It's just the right fit.

I can fold it and place it together with the Evolution undergarments in the same bag that was provided with, no problems. But, I don't know how hard can it be folded exactly, as it does have a stiff feel to it, so I'd like to avoid any problems. It does look and feel very sturdy and rugged. It also isn't on the light side, but I wouldn't know the exact dry weight, didn't bother to find out.

If you ordered the preinstalled rubber boots with neoprene lining, you'll need/appreciate negative fins (ie Jets).

Never dove an Evo2 but my cave instructor had one and it looked tough as nails. I hate big rubber boots - I see Pinnacle's web site mentions socks instead of boots - but I haven't seen anyone with them.

I love my TLS350. It dives nearly like a wet suit. I still have to add air - but I have never had any issue with venting - the thing vents before I can think about it. My old Dacor certainly didn't do that - I had to make sure the air was coming out.

Will it hold up? Only time will tell. I bought it well used but only have 15 or so dives on it. Its a signature series built to someone else's body - but they must be shaped exactly like me - because the fit is so perfect.

Trilam is one of the materials used in the shell suits, but I think there might be a couple other materials used for the shell suits. I'm no DS expert, so you'll probably want to consult w/ your LDS or wherever you plan to buy the suit as far as materials are concerned.

I too am not a fan of the attached boots. I love being able to lace my rock boots up nice & tight. Helps keep the air from entering the feet.

I'm with Evil on the negative fins, regardless of the boots you get w/ the suit. The SP Jets & Turtles are good, negative fins.

I've heard nothing but good about the Evo2. From what I've read & heard, seems to be one of the toughest suits out there, but I've never dove one personally, so I can't testify to that.

A good friend & dive buddy of mine swears that you should just buy the cheapest DS out there as there are only 2 manufactures for seals & zippers that are used on all suits. FWIW

Back
Top Bottom