You want shark fins? We got 'em.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Canada is one of many nations who recently agreed to ban shark finning in Atlantic waters. However, I recently went into a Chinese restaurant here in Ottawa and noticed that you can easily order shark fin soup off the menu. Is this legal? How can this be? We're a bunch of hypocrites. It makes me sick. I'm calling my MP and boycotting all restaurants that serve this crap.

:furious:

Hmmm.

make a fuss.

see if the sharks fins are imported and thus would now contravene the CITES convention and protected species.

The fishing for sharks for the purpose of fining was banned but the import of shark meat has not been banned. The Chinese are sly, sometimes what you think is shark fin is nothing more than dolphin and or Mola fin which is even worse and not banned from import.

Will they sell them mail-order? I'm about out of manatee steaks, and I LOVE seafood!

theskull

(yes, it's a joke!)

undercurrents:
The Chinese are sly, sometimes what you think is shark fin is nothing more than dolphin and or Mola fin which is even worse and not banned from import.

I doubt that you could substitute dolphin “fin” for shark fin—dolphins are mammals with fleshy appendages.

This is what I love about discussion boards, even when your correct some one calls you wrong. I'm a Fish and wild life officer, When I said dolphins I should of said dolphin fish. Lots of things are banned under the endangerd species act, but hay! you only have so many inspection officers and its not that hard to get several hundred crates of dried shark fin pass inspections. Remeber the crates that get by, pay foor all the ones that get caught.

undercurrents

As I have previously stated on other posts, the highly applauded "shark finning ban" does absolutely nothing to halt shark fishing. The ONLY thing this ban does is restrict the at-sea finning practice.

So now the ships are required to bring the entire sharks ashore, to cut off their fins and sell them in restaurants. Whoopdee-doo.

Poltical spin at its highest form.

undercurrents:
The fishing for sharks for the purpose of fining was banned but the import of shark meat has not been banned. The Chinese are sly, sometimes what you think is shark fin is nothing more than dolphin and or Mola fin which is even worse and not banned from import.
If it's legal then the only option is with the politicians. Typical useless law that wants to sound tough but has no teeth.

Its all about the demand. You can legislate all you want, but as long as there is some dope willing to pay for something, i.e. narcotics etc. etc. someone is going to provide it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom