Your favorite certification agency ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also like the CMAS system when it is done properly. The Level 1 doesn't allow independent diving
I've heard that claim before here, and I'd like to repeat what I said the last time I heard it: That's utterly wrong.

From the CMAS International Diver Training Standards and Procedures Manual:
4. Competencies of a certified CMAS One Star Diver
4.1 A CMAS One Star Diver shall be trained such that when assessed by a CMAS Instructor, he shall be deemed to have sufficient knowledge, skill and experience to procure air, equipment, and other diving services and to plan, conduct, and log open-water dives that do not require mandatory inwater decompression stops, without the supervision of a CMAS Instructor or CMAS Dive Leader, when properly equipped and accompanied by another certified diver of at least the same level, provided the diving activities undertaken, the diving conditions and the diving area are similar, equal or better to those in which training was received.
Cite: One Star Diver Training Programme

Agreed... Royal Navy and the Canadian equivalent do a pretty good job too! LOL

The common denominator is time to teach diving properly and motivation.

I am sure you can get a great education from any agency IF you get the right instructor who is working for the love of diving and teaching... OK, back to reality. The root problem is not the agencies operating in a competitive environment, curriculum, instructor training, or advertising. The root problem is the inability of dive shops to sell a single course that is expensive enough to do a thorough job.

What all these agencies need is to [-]offer[/-] require a course for dive shop owners and employees on how to sell a course that produces competent divers. The cost will weed out the unmotivated but it will be made up for by turning students into lifelong customers and a sales force at large.

Last edited:
YMCA and NASDS.

How do you make such big underlined letters?!? Akimbo's "IF" was glorious. I'll bet if Circuit City made me get certified when I bought my first computer I'd know how to do the kind of things I see other kids doing.

I've heard that claim before here, and I'd like to repeat what I said the last time I heard it: That's utterly wrong.

I may just be thinking of the French Federation- colour me educated. When I taught in French Djibouti with CMAS, students were not taught to use tables for example. They were only introduced at Level 2... so with that in mind... I vote for the FFESSSM.

It seems 3-4 day OW courses for the masses rarely result in competent independent divers nowadays. I'd much rather see a more slowly, slowly approach to diver education and experience.

I did some diving with an ex SEAL in the Philippines. He was trained to go down and disarm nukes that had gone down on a ship or plane etc. He was definitely comfortable in the water but by Scubaboard standards of perfect trim, low air consumption, not touching anything etc....he sucked....of course, I probably do too. Great guy though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom