Your Favorite dives in Fort Lauderdale & Pompano Beach region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i use parrot island scuba adventures regularly...I'll give it a (+) positive review.

If I were going to stay in Lauderdale the only dive that would be on my absolutely must do list would be blue heron bridge. Not only is it amazingly packed with sea life, but it's also free... well except for any gear you might need to rent. I've got my own gear so I've never rented stuff for this site, but both Pura Vida and Force-E are reputable shops in the area that should be able to help you out. I've used both of those ops for boat based drift diving in the area with positive experiences at each.

@Mouth Breather hit it on the head. Pompano Dive Center and South Florida driving headquarters are probably the two biggest operations. I’ve done a couple of dozen dives with each easy. I’ve also gone out with Scuba Tyme time a few times as well. Scuba Tyme is the easiest going boat, and depending on who the captain is South Florida diving boats tend to be the least easy going.

If you’re looking for extremely easy-going, I can highly recommend Miss Conduct. It’s a six pack, and one of the most relaxed boats I’ve ever paid for. I stopped diving with him because it’s just me, and sometimes it was hard to coordinate things to make the trip go.

As for places to dive: I strongly prefer wrecks. The Captain Dan is one of my favorites. The RSB-1 is fun, too, especially if you like going down long dark corridors. I do. The aqua zoo is a wreck that you can technically go inside, but there’s really nothing to see. ( I do it anyway, of course.). However, the wildlife on the wreck can be very nice. And the Copenhagen is kind of a combination wreck and reef dive. It’s more like wreckage then wreck, but a nice, relaxing dive.

To me, all of the reefs in Fort Lauderdale or Pompano are the same. Not bad, but not molasses reef in Key Largo. But I am not a reef person.

Speaking of Key Largo, if you have the time, it’s very worth the trip. Sometimes I stay in Pompano, sometimes I stay in Key Largo. Either way, I make the drive to the other place for one day of diving. It’s about two hours each way, which isn’t so bad. It’s really nice with a convertible, and the last few times I’ve rented a car I’ve been fortunate enough to get an upgrade to a convertible for just a couple of bucks — like $40 for 6 days. It helps to ask. And a sunny day at molasses reef is as pretty as any piece of reef I’ve ever been on.

If you want to do wrecks, the Spiegel Grove is straightforward. The wreck is absolutely huge, and extremely easy to penetrate to your level of comfort. I prefer the Duane, however. It is absolutely picturesque. A great deal of verticality, with a beautiful crows nest. Very fun wreck to do.

If you are an advanced wreck diver, the Dwayne has some of the coolest stuff to see inside, but it is not at all easy. The Spiegel Grove has a wonderful traverse: about 700 feet of continuous hallway with like 50 bulkheads, but with no real way in or out. It’s like a cave dive in metal.

And for before and after the dives: Dandee donuts is great. Some of the best donuts I’ve ever had, and the cappuccino is pretty good too. Get an XL cappuccino and get a free doughnut. And then there is Flanigan’s. A fairly straightforward Bar, with good dolphin and tuna! and cheap and well-made drinks. Really hard to go wrong. And the fish dip is excellent as well.

I really enjoy pompano beach! :) If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom