Your Post-Cavern Gear Configuration

What was Your Post-Cavern Cave Class Configuration?

• Single-tank, mostly minimum equipment

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Doubles, but not full cave equipment

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Full Cave equip (per agency req'mts)

Votes: 37 86.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me, too.

I'm just noticing how many people went in to doubles PDQ after Cavern.

IMHO, it would be silly to do otherwise.

Reactions: Jax
What the heck is :
"Doubles, but not full cave equipment" ??

I did cavern and intro with doubles,drysuit etc. Later did Full Cave the same way. Changed to sidemount fairly soon after that so I could get into a couple of particular spots.

I grew up w/the industry and was diving [all types] before cert. was required...

What the heck is :

I did cavern and intro with doubles,drysuit etc. Later did Full Cave the same way. Changed to sidemount fairly soon after that so I could get into a couple of particular spots.

As I understand it (consider the source) Some people went doubles, but maybe not the Can light and all all the cutting instruments, reels, and such.

Last edited:
As I understand it (consider the source) Some people went doubles, but maybe not the Can light and all the cutting instruments and such.

No cutting instruments would be truly stupid. Getting wrapped up in the line in a siltout and having no way to cut it would spoil your entire day.

I guess you don't need a can light but you do need a Goodman handle (or a light sock) Kind of hard to take in a reel with a pistol grip light.

No cutting instruments would be truly stupid. Getting wrapped up in the line in a siltout and having no way to cut it would spoil your entire day.

I guess you don't need a can light but you do need a Goodman handle (or a light sock) Kind of hard to take in a reel with a pistol grip light.

I didn't mean "no cutting instruments", just maybe not a backup one. And as you said, a light sock and lesser light. Basically, by intro, they are urging you to have all your own equipment, but some may not "have" it all, are maybe borrowing, etc.

I wanted to differentiate from those that have all your own gear and reels, etc.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

So, if I were to hazard a guess, the reason the equipment requirements are where they are is because the community and instructors are good enough at urging people into the proper configuration?

I took GUE Fundies in full cave equipment (drysuit, light can, doubles, back-up lights, cutting device, etc) and dove this configuration for many open water dives before ever exploring a cavern or cave.

Did cavern tours, Cave 1 and Full Cave in the same equipment.

Full cave equipment is required by the agency to earn the Fundies Tech pass in OW, which is a pre-rec for cave training.

Hanging out here in Mx cave country for the past 4 months I've seen so many different types of cave/cavern classes. I'm now convinced that it's quite valuable to be comfortable and effective in your equipment -- before showing up at the caves.

Last edited:

maybe it's the margaritas but that made me laugh way too much

What the heck is :

I don't think it's your doubles configuration, Ian. I've seen what they let into the fine establishments in Marianna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

started using "full cave" gear after about 10 ow dives with some heavy mentoring, 100 something OW dives in doubles later I did cavern through full cave in doubles.

I didn't swap to sidemount till after about 15-20 cave dives and Edd had harassed me about it every time I was down there...my first dive with him in my new sidemount set up I decided to sell every piece of backmount gear I owned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom