You're at 84 ft and you see a school of bullsharks. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lil38:
Thanks for this info! I was told in my PADI class that first of all, it is rare to see sharks unless you go looking for them. Additionally, remain calm and still at first and observe the behavior. Odds are the shark will move on.

Usually, but not always ...

Up here in Puget Sound we've got six-gill sharks. They're typically deep-water animals, but come in shallow this time of year (we still don't know why). Last year one of our local divers posted a link to a video he had taken of three of them ... in the 8-10 foot size range ... swimming along, seemingly ignoring the camera ... till one of them turned and swam directly toward the videographer. What you could see is the shark getting closer and closer until the video guy ended up using the camera to push it away.

A bit of a pucker moment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

People, and divers in particular, are not normally preferred shark cuisine. For the larger marine mammal feeding variety of shark we are practically anorexic in terms of fat versus the crunchy, bony, inedible, teeth busting, parts and they would much prefer a seal.

Most attacks are cases of mistaken identity (surfer, body surfer on the surface looking a lot like a seal from below or in poor visibility) or are exploratory taste tests to see exactly what you are in turbid water/low visibility conditions. .

Probably the only real exceptions here would be offshore pelagic sharks (Oceanic Whitetips, Blues, etc.) who may tend to take advantage of whatever food is available and may go after a diver on the surface (not underwater). But divers are unlikely to ever find themselves in that situation.

I am assuming this sudden interest may have some relationship to the recent attacks in Florida. The most recent attack in Florida involved a fisherman wading through the surf in waist deep water and essentially chumming with a bait fish on the end of his line. That is basically provoking a shark to come in and take a taste of whats acting like food.

NWGratefulDiver:

Up here in Puget Sound we've got six-gill sharks. They're typically deep-water animals, but come in shallow this time of year (we still don't know why). Last year one of our local divers posted a link to a video he had taken of three of them ... in the 8-10 foot size range ... swimming along, seemingly ignoring the camera ... till one of them turned and swam directly toward the videographer. What you could see is the shark getting closer and closer until the video guy ended up using the camera to push it away.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You know Bob, the last time i dove with the 6 Gills off of Hornby i wasn't into the photography. That's the only thing that might (only if guaranteed) make me think of getting the drysuit out of the parent's garage and dipping into those frigid waters once again..... :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
bit of a pucker? I probably would have likely sh** :11: myself!!! Would like to see that video..... I think

And thanks for all the comments on the photo everyone (sorry to get the thread so off topic so quickly) but i have to admit seeing that many sharks together is something truly magical to behold. i brought hundreds of divers to that sight and all were absolutely in awe afterwards, the only scary thing was the strong current (up to 7 knots, which is why the sharks congregated in such numbers) not the sharks

I hate you all. I have yet to see a shark in the wild. They show up for the other divers, but not for me.

I think there is a lot of truth to the bubble thing. I'm an air hog, guess all my bubbles keep them scooting away. :(

All good questions by the original posting...and, I agree that most shark encounters do not harm divers.

What about large sharks...great whites sharks and tiger sharks? I have heard countless stories and postings referencing that tiger sharks will eat anything...stories of Hawaiian surfers getting hit etc. I do understand that it does take some work to get out to where a great white might be and that most of these encounters are controlled with a cage...but what about diving without a cage?

Just my 02

So Shark Wrestling is not a PADI speciality course?
:11: :11: :11:

Whats wrong with those guys? When are they going to teach us the skills we really need to learn…

For Bull Sharks I'd reach for my camera - if they were great whites then that’s another matter... As pilot fish was interested in what to do if you meet a potential man eater that takes an interest in you I’d like to rephrase his question:

What would you do you had a great white circling you (apart from the first step of loosing bowel control - that part goes without saying)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom