youtube - Man stuck in elevator for 41hrs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just heard this on the LA news.

The elevator in our condo building sometimes craps out and leaves us stranded. Fortunately someone would eventually realize it, and there's a phone in the elevator to contact the outside world.

Here's an interesting article from The New Yorker re elevator design and the "stuck for 41 hours" incident.

Up and then Down: The lives of elevators by Nick Paumgarten.

Our Local Correspondents: Up and Then Down: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker

"The longest smoke break of Nicholas White’s life began at around eleven o’clock on a Friday night in October, 1999. White, a thirty-four-year-old production manager at Business Week, working late on a special supplement, had just watched the Braves beat the Mets on a television in the office pantry. Now he wanted a cigarette. He told a colleague he’d be right back and, leaving behind his jacket, headed downstairs..."

I've been stuck in an elevator a couple of times, thankfully never longer than a few minutes. Though this happened back in 1999, it's hard to imagine this guy wasn't missed. I've never been a smoker but I think I would notice if a co-worker took a 41 hour cigarette break. It was interesting to watch.

what is even more amazing is no where does it mention that he went missing obviously he has little or no freind in that case familly??????

Though this happened back in 1999, it's hard to imagine this guy wasn't missed. I've never been a smoker but I think I would notice if a co-worker took a 41 hour cigarette break.

After his rescue, "White had to go upstairs to get his jacket. He demanded that the guards come with him, and so they rode together on the service elevator, with the elevator operator. The presence of others with radios put him at ease. In his office he found that his co-worker, in a fit of pique over his disappearance, had written an angry screed, and taped it to his computer screen, for all their colleagues to see. He went home, and then headed to a bar."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom