Yukon Dive Difficulty Level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, kelp diving has it's own challenges. Entanglement issues need to be considered (but easily handled- remember: no twisting and turning like a fork in spaghetti! And it breaks if you bend it, but not if you pull on it), and navigation can be a challenge. Hopefully you will have a knowledgeable buddy to accompany you.

I am debating hiring a DG from the charter company for the three dives. Being I will be diving on Easter Sunday, finding someone local from on here may be difficult. I have dived in kelp twice and I have done dives at home in some really thick grass beds, but it never hurts to be prepared. Thanks for the comments.

I just reserved a spot on the Lois Ann for a three dive trip to the tower and kelp beds! I am stoked! I can't wait. Thanks for all the advice folks. Anyone wanna come on the trip and be my dive buddy? :)

I'd love to, but I'm too far north.

Be sure to post how it went when you return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just reserved a spot on the Lois Ann for a three dive trip to the tower and kelp beds! I am stoked! I can't wait. Thanks for all the advice folks. Anyone wanna come on the trip and be my dive buddy? :)

One last piece of advice, My AOW class used the Louis Ann and dove the Yukon and NOS Tower. I took AOW a month after my OW class. It's a fun dive but a bit challenging one for new divers. Adv. Check your air regularly (it goes fast at that depth), stay close to your buddy, and know where the mooring line is. Also take a underwater light. It helps for signaling or getting your buddies attention.

The water will be cold. Really cold. 7mm wetsuit or better is highly recommended. Seriously, the bottom time for diving the Yukon on a single AL 80 with a high SAC rate, you ain't gonna see much. I think I spent more time on ascent and safety stop then I did looking at the ship.

Oh and don't feed the sharks... lol j/k

Perhaps a tangent . . .

Just going home after two days of dives on Yukon with light deco. I've dived her since just after she was dropped. Have never seen viz as good, maybe 45' lateral at depth. Also almost no surge. That was yesterday. Today I saw less light (cloudy up top), a bit less viz, but still very little surge. Outstanding conditions. Easy penetrations.

I used Lois Ann and I can't recommend her highly enough. She's under the third command I've known, and I like the new operators as much as the two previous. And I can especially recommend the extreme hot water shower for anyone diving wet!

Agreed....lois ann is a boat worthy of my money. ;-)

A little thing about that damn Yukon: You can have 30' viz one day, and 5' the next. Calm conditions today and significant current or surge the next. I think those variable make it a more advanced dive than the depth.

I might get blasted for this but, if you REALLY want to get into wreck diving, skip deep/wreck courses. Go for GUE or UTD training.

The GUE or UTD training may be nice, but not for a good while. I get to dive once every three months if I am lucky. I have tried contacting the Lois Ann repeatedly for the last month and they will not return my calls. I am getting pretty aggravated as the dives are this Sunday.

I've had good experience on the Humboldt, and they just got new low pressure Faber tanks that look very nice, so next time I may leave my tank at home.

Last edited:
I went ahead and booked a trip on the Catalina Express. I will just drive up Saturday night and stay at a hotel. I called and emailed the Lois Ann at least 5 times in the past month and they will not return my calls or emails. So, I am going with the Sundiver folks. Now I just need to find someone to dive with me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom