Yukon Mishap 9/11/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone seen the Coroners report yet? It looks like people were calling (Jax) was doing some good work on that.
It is common knowledge in San Diego that the Captain had her license suspended for a while and the DM on board had a positive post accident drug test. IMO blunts don't belong on a dive boat.

Quienyo, that's the first heard of it here. Are you sure of this?

As for the coroners' report, what I posted above came directly from it.

Yes I am sure. I heard it directly from the owner of a dive shop that charters them. One of the Waterhorse owners told him. So it went from owner to owner, professional to professional. Not the usual dive rumor. I am not sure how someone would verify this. It is probably in a USCG report somewhere that should be available through FOIA. But that may take a few months to get.

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but there are a couple of important misconceptions that need clearing up... :)
Doesn't the first stage regulate to something like 150 PSI, so when it quits supplying gas, there would still be some in the tank?
1. The first stage regulates IP to about 150 psi over ambient until the tank pressure reaches that, and then stays wide open. That is, from 150 down to zero (ambient) there is a direct path from the tank to the second stage. Depending on the second stage, air will be delivered with varying degrees of increased breathing resistance until ambient pressure is reached in the tank. With older regulators the diver will start noticing increased breathing resistance well in advance of the tank being empty; with some of the new, really good second stages, breathing resistance will remain very low right up until a breath or two before empty.
If the tank was empty could they still somehow do an analysis of the air? I mean that as a serious question... I am not thinking they could but am wondering if I missed something.
2. Barring a leak during ascent (second stage stuck in a freeflow, for example), a tank breathed dry at 100' will have about 45 psi in it when brought to the surface, which is plenty for a gas analysis.
><>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom