Yukon Mishap 9/11/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, reading this thread, I'm struck by the number of people who think that the boat leaving played a major role in the fatality.

Just because the boat is not at fault does not stop me from being upset that any diver alive or dead is left behind when professional operaters can apply rolls calls in a manner that this never happens.

Per phone call to the San Diego Medical Examiner's Office of Records today, the official cause of death is drowning.

I have requested a copy of the report and will post any further relevant info if there is some.

Excerpts from the report. My comments in italics.

Past Medical, Surgical, and Social History:
According to his family, the decedent had no known medical conditions. He had been known to have 'blackouts' in the past but reported to his family that he had not had any in a long time. He reportedly had a shoulder injury while in the service. He had no reported history of illicit drug use, depression, or alcoholism.

He was not taking any prescription medications.

CAUSE OF DEATH: DROWNING WHILE SCUBA DIVING

MANNER OF DEATH: ACCIDENT

Note - there is nothing new about the discovery of the missing person that has not been posted here.

San Diego Lifeguards were alerted by marine radio and responded; Lifeguard divers recovered the decedent approximately six minutes after entering the water, finding him on a sandy bottom at a depth of approximately 100 feet of seawater (fsw) approximately 20 - 30 yards from the shipwreck. All of his equipment was in place, although his regulator was not in his mouth. He was brought to the surface and resuscitative efforts initiated. He was transported to the dock at Lifeguard
headquarters, where Lifeguards were met by paramedics. Despite continued resuscitative efforts, death was pronounced on the dock. For further information, see scene note, below.

The autopsy documented pulmonary congestion/edema (right lung, 720 grams; left lung, 670 grams). Additionally, gas bubbles effervesced from the blood, due to offgassing of the nitrogen load accumulated during his dive. However, it is expected that with pressure removed nitrogen will bubble from solution in this manner, and this did not represent evidence of decompression sickness or gas embolism. There was no evidence of barotrauma or other diving-related injuries.

Evidence of natural disease included focal, moderate coronary artery atherosclerosis and a mildly enlarged heart (420 g). There were no apparent antemortem injuries; trauma was limited to a small abrasion of the abdomen and a sternum fracture due to attempted resuscitation. Toxicological testing detected no alcohol, common drugs of abuse, carbon monoxide, or medications (base screen).

Examination of the decedent’s equipment documented nominal function. The tank was
empty. The total amount of weight worn by the decedent was measured at 44.8 pounds. The dive computer documented a last dive of 101 fsw for 72 minutes. However, no further information could be obtained from the computer despite assistance from the computer’s manufacturer.

It appears that he ran out of air while underwater and was unable to surface. Therefore, based on the autopsy findings, scene investigation, follow-up investigation, gear examination, and the circumstances surrounding the death, as currently understood, the cause of death is listed as drowning while scuba diving, and the manner of death is classified as accident.

The only thing of interest is that the last dive was at 100 feet for 72 minutes. Speculation: It looks like he did not even try to ascend, or the examiner would have made a note of it, I would think.

There is no mention of the tank's air analysis in the report. It simply states the gauges read empty.

The total amount of weight worn by the decedent was measured at 44.8 pounds.
This is what really stands out to me.
What exposure protection was he wearing and how much did this guy weigh? Seems he was excessively over weighted. IMO

This is what really stands out to me.
What exposure protection was he wearing and how much did this guy weigh? Seems he was excessively over weighted. IMO

That's the weight on land of all of his gear, right? Not simply the amount of lead he carried. A nice thick wetsuit weighs a few pounds on land and is very floaty in the water. I'm not sure the amount of total gear weight is excessive. Maybe I'm not understanding what the report stated. :idk:

That's the weight on land of all of his gear, right? Not simply the amount of lead he carried. A nice thick wetsuit weighs a few pounds on land and is very floaty in the water. I'm not sure the amount of total gear weight is excessive. Maybe I'm not understanding what the report stated. :idk:
Good question. I hadn't considered that it was the weight of all gear. Hopefully Ken, Thal or someone else who has experience can clarify.

Good question. I hadn't considered that it was the weight of all gear. Hopefully Ken, Thal or someone else who has experience can clarify.

:thumb: I would expect the coroner's words to be precise about medical things, but not so precise about diving issues. A clarification sure would help!

There is no mention of the tank's air analysis in the report. It simply states the gauges read empty.

If the tank was empty could they still somehow do an analysis of the air? I mean that as a serious question... I am not thinking they could but am wondering if I missed something.

Back
Top Bottom