Yukon Mishap 9/11/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the tank was empty could they still somehow do an analysis of the air? I mean that as a serious question... I am not thinking they could but am wondering if I missed something.

Doesn't the first stage regulate to something like 150 PSI, so when it quits supplying gas, there would still be some in the tank?

I seem to recall reading that the deceased was using an AL-80 tank. If my recollection is right, then it would seem that either the deceased had a remarkably low SAC or his computer kept counting dive time even after he stopped breathing.

I seem to recall reading that the deceased was using an AL-80 tank. If my recollection is right, then it would seem that either the deceased had a remarkably low SAC or his computer kept counting dive time even after he stopped breathing.

Unless it were air-integrated, wouldn't it naturally do the latter?

Doesn't the first stage regulate to something like 150 PSI, so when it quits supplying gas, there would still be some in the tank?

That's what I was thinking, but there is no mention of analysis at all. I thought that strange.

I would guess the computer would keep counting . . . but the fact that no ascent was mentioned leads one to believe he flat lost track of his air.

Narcosis, perhaps?

I would guess the computer would keep counting . . . but the fact that no ascent was mentioned leads one to believe he flat lost track of his air.

My computer does not data-log. Max depth and bottom time, low temp, and a few other parameters are stored.

Yes, it is an older model.

If the victim had had a similar computer, had he spent the entire dive at a moderate depth, and then blacked out and sank to the bottom, the computer would read just like this one did - max depth and bottom time. Dead or alive.

Just a thought.

My computer does not data-log. Max depth and bottom time, low temp, and a few other parameters are stored.

Yes, it is an older model.

If the victim had had a similar computer, had he spent the entire dive at a moderate depth, and then blacked out and sank to the bottom, the computer would read just like this one did - max depth and bottom time. Dead or alive.

Just a thought.

One of the previous statements, echoed in the Coroners' report, was that he was seen at 100' in the sand, taking pictures. One could speculate he just stayed there, which is why I'm thinking narcosis.

One of the previous statements, echoed in the Coroners' report, was that he was seen at 100' in the sand, taking pictures. One could speculate he just stayed there, which is why I'm thinking narcosis.

Fair enough. I was just trying to point out that if he had tried to ascend at some point, there might be no record of it. This is different from a record showing he had never tried to ascend.

Fair enough. I was just trying to point out that if he had tried to ascend at some point, there might be no record of it. This is different from a record showing he had never tried to ascend.

Ah . . . wow, that is a really ancient computer, then. :)

Bet he wished he had a pony bottle now. For all you guys diving beyond 80 feet on a single tank, might want to think about the investment, not very expensive given the alternative.

IMHO a pony bottle when diving in excess of 80' should be recommended gear and should be taught by PADi, NAUI, etc. How many more deaths will it take?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom