Zeagle Backplate and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok. I know there are at least 4 people on here who can help me so this thread should be over in a short while.

I have a Zeagle Scout that I bought for travel but have never used it extensively. Also, weight is not a problem for local travel here.

Basically I want to convert my scout into a BP/W setup. Here in the Philippines, the dealer only sells the most basic zeagle gear so I will be buying in the States. My brother comes home in February.

Looking at the website I need the following:

Item# 519-BPD deluxe harness with stainless steel plate

Ripcord 519-WS130RC

and the 5.5 inch bolts.

My questions:

1. Can I use the weight pouches in the back of the scout now?

2. I only use 8 lbs of weight in the scout so I guess I do not really need the ripcord pouches. Or do I?

What will this do to my trim? (try your best to answer here as I really cannot try it first) I am thinking a 6 lb BP and 1 lb in each trim weight. I tried 4 lbs in each trim weight of the scout and I flipped over every time i looked up and to one side. What will the BP do for me? How about another way to add 2 lbs to the plate? Not really concerned about ditching weights.

3. I also need pockets. Do I have to make my own or does zeagle have some? Could not find it on the website?

4. Zeagle does not have a STA? I know it is not life or death but I have been told that it will greatly affect the "feel" of the rig as a whole.

For some background, I dive a 3 mil shorty and use an AL80. Never ever going to dive doubles. Never ever going into water colder than 70.

Apologies that this is long and a little bit disorganized. Its been a long day.

partridge:
Ok. I know there are at least 4 people on here who can help me so this thread should be over in a short while.

OR NOT. haha. Cmon guys. help me out. Wheres Scott, Larry, and rapiddiver and his brother?

Scott I would say is busy with inventory, or lack of. Chad...don't know. Rap..probably doing inventory as well. Larry, maybe saving his house from the wild fires. PM a couple and ask them to post.

BTW, here are the pockets from Zeagle. Not what they put on their BC's.

Partidge,

Hey, it's the Holidays! I don't know about the other guys, but after stuffing myself at dinner yesterday I fell asleep!

Anyway, the good thing is our plates will acommodate your Scout bladder with our non traditional method of mounting BC bladders to plates. A Zeagle exclusive I think. It is important to know which type of attachments are on your bladder. If you look closely here http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?sub...cs&link=backplate_dlx&category=Heavy Duty BCs you will see the four extra holes at the two sides of the tank band.
Here are the rear weight pockets that we make for plates, but I honestly don't think you'll need any.
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=HeavyDutyBC&src=gendocs&link=Backplate_options
Sounds like your shorty and the plate will work just fine. Or you could go aluminum for a lighter travel plate and add the weight pockets.
Either way, no STA is needed IMO. You can strap a one pound weight on either side of a tank band, but of course you can't ditch it. You could also wear two pounds on a belt. (And use it for freediving too.)

Sorry if I missed anything.

Must be nice to only need a shorty!

Happy New Year!

Chad

Chad Carney:
Must be nice to only need a shorty!

Happy New Year!

Chad

Hey Chad, up for a midwest dive tomorrow?? No shorties allowed! :D Water temp of 45 I think you would be insane to try.

crpntr133:
Hey Chad, up for a midwest dive tomorrow?? No shorties allowed! :D Water temp of 45 I think you would be insane to try.

crpntr133,

I've got to pass. Watching the Bucs play today.

Believe it or not, in sunny west FL we've got the same 2' vis and only 13 degrees warmer water. But it will get much clearer in a few days, and warm up in a couple months.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom