Zeagle regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a unicorn. I've had both my Z's upgraded. The kits exist. Tell your LDS to call Zeagle directly. That's what my shop did and ordered a half dozen 2nd stage kits.
I know nothing about any upgrades for 1st stages.

Did they give you the old parts?

Are you asking if my LDS gave me the old parts back? If so, he offered and I declined because the Atomic parts are nicer. I'm not technical when it comes to regulators but I believe it was three parts that were changed.
I'll email my shop and ask again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you asking if my LDS gave me the old parts back? If so, he offered and I declined because the Atomic parts are nicer. I'm not technical when it comes to regulators but I believe it was three parts that were changed.
I'll email my shop and ask again.

Three sounds right, plus the new seat which would in the new service kit. Is there a slot in the back of the new oriface?

This is the response from my LDS:

Pictured below is the exact kit.

What was replaced (besides the o-rings) were three major components,
one of which was the stainless steel seat(orifice)(in red cap).
A new designed (blue) piston & balance cylinder,
and the Low Pressure seat (which is hard to see here) are totally new design.
Also a new spring too.

The low pressure seat is actually the Atomic lp seat,
so I am guessing the new (blue) piston & balance cylinder was retooled to work with new lp seat.

Also, you ALREADY had a stainless steel seat-(orifice) (or inline adj-screw),
but I replaced yours with the new one as I wasn’t sure if the new one was better tolerances or retooled.

Attachments

• Zeagle Upgrade Kit.jpeg
    Zeagle Upgrade Kit.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 314
Wow, it looks they were yelling at you.

Nah, he was just being really clear about it. I'm a good customer.

Anyway, Zeagles had plastic,or, stainless orifices depending on the year. The stainless version's adjustment was hexagonal, not slotted. The new one appears be both hexagonal and slotted in the schematic, which seems like a good idea. Just asking.

Thanks Reef,

I'll order 10 tomorrow!!!

---------- Post added April 1st, 2015 at 11:27 AM ----------

So found them and ordered 10, as expected. For what it is worth, the Zeagle team in Zephyrhills had only heard of it's existence, had never tested them and really had no information on them at all. The whole High performance thing is coming out of California. Kits retail at around $15 and can be include at your next annual service, if you so wish.

Once I get mine, I'll take a couple of second stage and do before and after flow tests to determine if there is a real benefit or just smoke and mirrors. Pm me if you are interested in what I observe.

So, installed 10 of them and I will say I am observing a snappier response and less chatter in the second. Sadly, these are all perspective. Historically, with a Zeagle reg, I could easily get the second stage down to 1.0 or .9 with the fires stage at 145/3000psi. Using the new atomic seats (curiously, the same as the hog seats) I was able to tune them down at or below .8 in all 10 cases. This is NOT what I would do for a customer, since that is below spec, but it does say something about the fit and finish of the components.

The seat is the real magic. As a matter of fact, in three of the regs, I replaced only the seat and was able to detune as described. The other components are likely more wearability. I am told by a Huish engineer that the blue plastic poppet is more rigid than the white. This may be necessary because the new spring seems to apply more tension as the old, because of it being longer by ~3/16". I want to measure the tension supplied by both springs and will let you know what I find. The new orifice is machine with a deeper cone that should wear well, and provides both slot and hex adjustment.

Overall, it works fine and I'll be curious as to the wearabilty.

I just checked with DRIS and the Zeagle F8 will be available in yoke or Din last part of May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom