zeagle tech or ranger ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I forgot.. I also have a computer..
so any recommendations ? :)

jacek once bubbled...
I'm not.. this is what a lot of LDS's have recommended to me. I've tried the ranger once and I liked it..

probably because they make the most money on the zeagle... or have too many in stock??

You said that you dove the zeagle and liked it? Have you dove anything else? You should probably stick to renting for a little while... at least try and rent a jacket style bc and a bp/wing. Ask everyone that you are diving with what they use. Ask if they like it. Ask what they don't like about it. Ask 'em if they'd buy it again. Gather as much info as possible before making a major purchase.

I had a basic jacket bc... it was ok. I was gonna get a ranger, but my wife beat me to it. After seeing hers, I was glad I hadn't purchased mine. I ended up with a bp/wing. The day I got it, I saw my wife eyeballing it and now she wants to try one too.

Moral: don't rush into a purchase. Rent. Dive. Ask questions. Decide what type of diving might be in your future. I would recommend a basic jacket bc over any so-called "tech" bc. You don't need all the gadgets.

I bought a ranger for my first year. Its now my lend-out bc. I moved to a bp/wing. Heres why: the ranger rode up on me (you really should get the crotch strap if you do get it), its bulky, the pockets are pretty useless for the diver wearing it if you're wearing any kind of gloves, it doesnt have a hard back which makes it a bit cumbersome to move around with the tank attached.

WIth the combination of the cumberbund and front strap there is just too much out front.

When i first got this rig i was happy with it until i started diving with people who dove with bp/wings. First thing i was jealous of was the fact that their front was so streamlined and simple. Second thing i was jealous of was the fact that it didnt ride move on them. Third thing i was jealous of was the stability of the tank on their back - it just didnt move whereas the ranger let it flop from side to side quite easily and i hated that.

The ranger was also more expensive than the bp/wings.

The only reason i can see to dislike a bp and wings is maybe if you dove in really warm water topless and the straps chafed you. Thats not much of a worry up here, so i'm not too concerned. However, i'm sure you could even get softer webbing if you needed to in that case.

I even have a friend thats been using my ranger and willing to buy it from me - but i keep telling him to save his money and buy a bp/wing setup. I couldn't in good concience sell him something i know is inferior. He's tried the bp and wing and fully agrees now.

steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom