Zeagle Zena or Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

I'm trying to get my wife sorted out with a BC. She's tried the Zena on and likes it (about 290 from LP). Then this weekend I saw a LDS selling backplates from 1-200 and wings for about 200. So I could get her a backplate rig for equivalent price and she wouldn't need to worry about carrying so much weight. Also is it possible to mount weight in pockets on the straps or is that a "no no."

Any thoughts from ladies who have used the backplate and wing set up? I'm all for back inflate as I dive a Ranger. If I had known I could get a backplate rig so affordably I would have done that.

Thanks!

IMO it all depends on what type of diving she will be doing. If strictly tropical diving then she will probably be in a minimul thickness suit. Many find the 4 inch straps of the BP harness uncomfortable. Would not go this route without having her rent a rig or atleast dive it in a pool. You might waste $$ on that purchase. She might like DR TPII, DR TP Harness which you use with a BP. Several companies mfg. a harness or shoulder pads that would work as well. Zena or Escape.

You can purchase weight pockets for BP. Several varieties are available. Does she like pockets? Pockets on Escape are nice for holding gloves or BU light.

The Zeagle route is also a very good way to go IMO.

My bf just got a halycon bp and wing and I think it is way too uncomfortable for me. I have the SQ Diva LX and love it.

Make sure she tries on the bp and wing before you buy it.

gemdiver:
My bf just got a halycon bp and wing and I think it is way too uncomfortable for me. I have the SQ Diva LX and love it.

Make sure she tries on the bp and wing before you buy it.

I'll take $10 on "gemdiver didn't try it underwater"

I purchased for my wife a SQ Diva LX and she also loves it. I can't see her in a backplate setup.

She tried the SQ diva at LPro and didn't like it at all!

bedazzle410:
I purchased for my wife a SQ Diva LX and she also loves it. I can't see her in a backplate setup.

No offense Dr. Steve, but in the future, please try and post this in only 1 forum...it is annoying to have 2 threads of the exact sma ething started by the exact same person in different areas.

I understand, but it fits well in both forums and not everyone reads both. If they could be linked from both that would be good. But I don't know how to do that.

Big-t-2538:
No offense Dr. Steve, but in the future, please try and post this in only 1 forum...it is annoying to have 2 threads of the exact sma ething started by the exact same person in different areas.

I haven't had the chance to try it on underwater yet, but I plan to. I do know though that the straps cut into my chest too much for it to be comfortable.

Once I get some more money and more diving experience, then I will be looking into a bp and wing setup but I want something more women shape friendly. Until then my Diva LX is the most comfy rig I've worn so I'm sticking with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom