Zeagle Zena or Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve:
I understand, but it fits well in both forums and not everyone reads both. If they could be linked from both that would be good. But I don't know how to do that.
It's no big deal for the mods to do it, they just have to find time to get to it. It's an FYI thing for future referece.

Yes I did. I was particularly looking for a comparison for the zena and back plate. But what I did see somewhere was that Zeagle makes a back plate as well. So...getting a zena and a back plate at a later date would be fine and I can do the same and keep my soft back for travel diving where I will carry less weight anyway :)

gemdiver:
reading any of the other threads about women's bcs? There are a couple of them that are very informative.

Are you looking to seel your Zena? My wife didn't like the Diva.

What do you prefer about the Diva?

MsParamedic:
As a former Zeagle owner and now a DivaLX owner....

I am 110% happier with my Diva!

I wasn't very fond of the zipper on the vest, the integrated weight system and lack of pockets and D Rings.

The Diva fits me much better through the hips...and I love the spine padding.

Right now Im using my Zeagle for pool work...

It's all a matter of preference! Good luck! :)

I tried many different BCDs before I made my decision and purchased my BP & W. Contrary to what you have been told, it doesn't matter what type of diving she is doing, she only needs a BP&W for any and all different types of diving environments. And, you can't try one on out of the water to get any idea of what it dives like or how comfortable it will be. And, no the webbing doesn’t rub me.

I would suggest that you rent one and have her dive it. And, dive it a few times - not just one or two dives. It does take some adjusting to get it right. They are made to fit so she will have to adjust the straps but the beauty of it is that when she has her own and gets the adjustments made to fit her, she only straps it on and dives. No BS. I have custom weight pockets that fit on my waist strap when I need more weight but the beauty of it is depending on the water temps and the suit she wears she may not need weight at all. I dive a custom made short heavy steel BP and in fresh water with my 3 mil, and I don’t need weight. When I dive in saltwater or with a heavier suit I can either add weight in my pockets or attach my heavy STA and I have no problem. With the STA I don’t need extra weight. This is nice because my hips don’t get bruise from wearing a weight belt.

I would suggest she get an entire Hogarthian setup so she doesn’t have a dangling second stage. She can wear a backup around her neck with a bungee and it doesn’t get in the way. Her pressure gauge will be a small gauge clipped off to her left hip and not a console that gets in the way or hung on something while diving. My depth gauge and compass is worn on my wrist and it all very simplistic. I would be happy to talk with her if she has questions. R

Thanks for your post RavenC. I've not heard of anywhere renting out the DIR style BC's and I know this shop doesn't. Finding anywhere which rents out rear inflate BC's yet alone women's is tough! In my wife's case it is going to be a case of if she tries it onland and it feels comfortable and fits her body type. Underwater she is just going to have to get used to it, I think it took me a good 12 dives before I felt good with mine and I trained wearing a Zeagle Ranger! As for a small gauge...she's going to be getting a cobra with compass attached (that part isn't up to negotiation) and like all good scuba divers it will have a retractor clip on it and her octo will have a holder no matter what style of BC she gets :)

RavenC:
I tried many different BCDs before I made my decision and purchased my BP & W. Contrary to what you have been told, it doesn't matter what type of diving she is doing, she only needs a BP&W for any and all different types of diving environments. And, you can't try one on out of the water to get any idea of what it dives like or how comfortable it will be. And, no the webbing doesn’t rub me.

I would suggest that you rent one and have her dive it. And, dive it a few times - not just one or two dives. It does take some adjusting to get it right. They are made to fit so she will have to adjust the straps but the beauty of it is that when she has her own and gets the adjustments made to fit her, she only straps it on and dives. No BS. I have custom weight pockets that fit on my waist strap when I need more weight but the beauty of it is depending on the water temps and the suit she wears she may not need weight at all. I dive a custom made short heavy steel BP and in fresh water with my 3 mil, and I don’t need weight. When I dive in saltwater or with a heavier suit I can either add weight in my pockets or attach my heavy STA and I have no problem. With the STA I don’t need extra weight. This is nice because my hips don’t get bruise from wearing a weight belt.

I would suggest she get an entire Hogarthian setup so she doesn’t have a dangling second stage. She can wear a backup around her neck with a bungee and it doesn’t get in the way. Her pressure gauge will be a small gauge clipped off to her left hip and not a console that gets in the way or hung on something while diving. My depth gauge and compass is worn on my wrist and it all very simplistic. I would be happy to talk with her if she has questions. R

I was diving a Zeagle but just recently purchased a B/P. I haven't been in the water yet but the fit is incredible. The only thing I was concerned about was the crotch strap. For the most part they come 2 inches wide. I thought this would be uncomfortable so chose to go with a one inch strap. It may have been a mistake on my part but the webbing isn't that expensive and if need be I will get the thicker webbing. I love my Zeagle still and plan on diving with it sometime this year but I do think that my B/P will get far more use. JMO

DrSteve:
Thanks for your post RavenC. I've not heard of anywhere renting out the DIR style BC's and I know this shop doesn't. Finding anywhere which rents out rear inflate BC's yet alone women's is tough! In my wife's case it is going to be a case of if she tries it onland and it feels comfortable and fits her body type. Underwater she is just going to have to get used to it, I think it took me a good 12 dives before I felt good with mine and I trained wearing a Zeagle Ranger! As for a small gauge...she's going to be getting a cobra with compass attached (that part isn't up to negotiation) and like all good scuba divers it will have a retractor clip on it and her octo will have a holder no matter what style of BC she gets :)

If you have the opportunity to visit High Springs Fl, Extreme Exposure will fit her with a BP & W to rent. That's where I tried my first. I can give you some names of great guys there who will take good care of you. It is well worth the trip. As far as your "retractor" comment, I think she would find the secondary on a bungee and her cobra on her wrist much better but to each his/her own.

Good luck trying out gear. BTW, my standard crotch strap doesn't bother me. :) R

No plans to drive 1000 miles to Florida at this point LOL.

Cobra is air integrated so wrist mount would only be possible for the compass.

I spoke to her tonight and we are going to go to the LDS which stocks the backplates and see what she thinks :) I'll let you know

RavenC:
If you have the opportunity to visit High Springs Fl, Extreme Exposure will fit her with a BP & W to rent. That's where I tried my first. I can give you some names of great guys there who will take good care of you. It is well worth the trip. As far as your "retractor" comment, I think she would find the secondary on a bungee and her cobra on her wrist much better but to each his/her own.

Good luck trying out gear. BTW, my standard crotch strap doesn't bother me. :) R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom