Zeagle Zena or Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve:
Hi all!

I'm trying to get my wife sorted out with a BC. She's tried the Zena on and likes it (about 290 from LP). Then this weekend I saw a LDS selling backplates from 1-200 and wings for about 200. So I could get her a backplate rig for equivalent price and she wouldn't need to worry about carrying so much weight. Also is it possible to mount weight in pockets on the straps or is that a "no no."

Any thoughts from ladies who have used the backplate and wing set up? I'm all for back inflate as I dive a Ranger. If I had known I could get a backplate rig so affordably I would have done that.

Thanks!

Steve:

I got a Zeagle Zena because my ScubaPro jacket was just too heavy to lug around on trips and I just love it. Easy to put on, love the pockets, easy to just slip in the weights and zip it up. Lovely to travel with. I've used it several times and am quite pleased - hope that's helpful.

Thanks for your comments. We tried the backplate yesterday and weren't overly impressed (but that was mostly with the shop). We did try an "Deep Outdoors" which wasn't weight integrated but very cheap at 125. Apparently you can get weight pockets which will make it a similar price to the Zena (which we already like).

Thanks again!

drckw:
Steve:

I got a Zeagle Zena because my ScubaPro jacket was just too heavy to lug around on trips and I just love it. Easy to put on, love the pockets, easy to just slip in the weights and zip it up. Lovely to travel with. I've used it several times and am quite pleased - hope that's helpful.

Here's a simple fact for you:
If you look around this board, you'll notice most divers who don't like BPs have never even dove one!!! Also a lot of BP divers, started with either a jacket or back inflate and will never go back.

Just last September, I dove with the first buddy I've ever had who dove a BP. I remember saying I think it would be uncomfortable. Take one guess what I'm diving now.

GET THE BACKPLATE!!!

I was in Aruba in November, the straps didn't bother me at all, in an old beat up 2mm, and I only used 2lbs., and that was just to help with trim, I really didn't even need the weight.

grunzster:
Here's a simple fact for you:
If you look around this board, you'll notice most divers who don't like BPs have never even dove one!!! Also a lot of BP divers, started with either a jacket or back inflate and will never go back.

Here's another fact.

Some people don't like backplates and there is nothing wrong with that but if you say so on the board you can be assured that you will be chastized and openly criticized by someone.

Try any bc you can in open water then decide for yourself.

*LMFAO* You got that right "Dive Source." What surprises me so much is that it appears the backplate is being touted as the new and improved thing. When my Dad took up diving in 1974 it was the only option. A harness for your tank (guess what...it had webbing straps and quick release catches as well) and a "doughnut/bagel" style BC/ABLJ. In an emergency you could ditch your tank and still have a "life jacket." I'm perfectly happy with my Zeagle Ranger and ultimately my wife will decide what she wants. As far as I can see the back plate has one advantage in that it lets you carry less weight and it may well be more comfortable. Given she carries more weight than me a back plate might help her for local salt water diving. It's her choice, not mine.

Dive Source:
Here's another fact.

Some people don't like backplates and there is nothing wrong with that but if you say so on the board you can be assured that you will be chastized and openly criticized by someone.

Try any bc you can in open water then decide for yourself.
I agree, try them all and get what you're comfortable with.

I was just making the point that a most of the divers who don't like backplates have never even tried one. So don't be reluctant to try it because of what they say. Most of it is BS and a lot of the divers I know, myself included, who dive BPs have tried back inflates and jackets, and used to beleive all the negative things you hear about BPs, before we actually tried them.

grunzster:
I agree, try them all and get what you're comfortable with.

I was just making the point that a most of the divers who don't like backplates have never even tried one. So don't be reluctant to try it because of what they say. Most of it is BS and a lot of the divers I know, myself included, who dive BPs have tried back inflates and jackets, and used to beleive all the negative things you hear about BPs, before we actually tried them.

You are absolutley right and you presented your view very fairly. I was just making an observation on some of the less tolerant posters (not the grunzster) who prefer to lecture others rather than have a dialogue on a subject.

The attitude of some is pretty funny at times- especially the ones who have only been diving for a short time but are now "experts".

Dive Source:
especially the ones who have only been diving for a short time but are now "experts".
Oops, that's me, but at least I never claim to be an expert. I'll often admit to being a rookie in most of my posts.

So let me just say I'm no expert, and I've only been diving for 1 year and 9 months, but in that short time I've used all 3 types of BCs and I hate jackets and like BPs the best by far.

grunzster:
Oops, that's me, but at least I never claim to be an expert. I'll often admit to being a rookie in most of my posts.

So let me just say I'm no expert, and I've only been diving for 1 year and 9 months, but in that short time I've used all 3 types of BCs and I hate jackets and like BPs the best by far.

I sure won't argue with you about jacket BC's and I don't use one either. I have a zeagle tech and a SS backplate/bladder and find both of them have their place in my diving and some people I've met are more comfortable in Jackets ( to each his own)

Regarding attitudes on scubaboard, I think people who are excited about a sport often become passionate about it quickly and that's great but unfortunately some members seam to revel in slamming others (again let me say I don't mean you Mr. Grunzster :slick: )

As for "experts" I do know of one vocal board member who has been diving less than a year but is a self proclaimed dive god and DIR expert, so everytime I read a post of theirs I just laugh to myself and roll my eyes :rolleyes:.

As a dive professional I am involved in the sport everyday and get to see, hear and read lots of things about diving and scuba baord is a fun way to share information in the cold winter months, but I don't ever think of myself of an expert. I am just someone who has seen a little more than some and wants to learn more.

If I stop listening to the opinions of others and become entrenched in my opinions then that will be the day I quit diving and seek therapy (oops... theres an opening for some jabs-LOL)

True, there are just too many people, who think their way is the only way. And most of them have never even tried most of the things that they slam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom