Zhung Kong Robbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard. You are missing the point. It is not that the police aren't patrolling to stop people from stealing coolers...the problem is that they are not patrolling at all. There is zero police presence on the island. Nothing, nada.
The lack of any police presence is a breeding ground for crime. I do like to think that there is some form of law enforcement when needed.
Bonaire is a wonderful island, but it has it's faults and issues.

For the life of me Scott, I don't know how you can possibly make a statement that there is zero police presence on the island. I am not questioning your intelligence, but I would recommend that you get your eyes examined. Of course Bonaire has it's faults and issues which I most definitely agree with, but when you make a statement like "zero police presence", you lose all credibility. I do question how much you really know about the island. But of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Okay Vince, you got me...I was exaggerating a tad. A police force does exist. I have seen a truck go around 3-5 times in 12 trips. All downtown. Let me ask you this...If someone was robbing your condo do you think a call to the cops would result in any significant action? Would you feel remotely better once the police were called?

I love Bonaire, but it has it's faults

i will refrain from returning the insults with you. Happy diving Vince!

JG109:

I'll concede that wanting a ham sandwich and a gatorade after a dive is pretty outrageous! (humor intended).

Nothing outrageous about that. And you can pack yourself one. I recommend you either 'let it go' if it disappears while you're diving, or don't take one, but that is strictly up to you.

Stop blaming the tourists for crime- you know, the folks who come and spend a lot of money!

The crime is not the victim's fault. In regards to petty theft from parked rental trucks at dive sites, there are standardized simple measures posing not great cost or inconvenience that can make the risk of such almost negligible (doors unlocked, windows down, no valuables left in truck). If someone ignores all that, it is not his fault if his window is broken and his ham sandwich stolen. But there are ways to minimize risk and I think most of us choose to do so.

If the dive operator association and hotel association etc complained enough to the Governor, the Netherlands, the Chief of Police and anyone else in a leadership role, the problem could certainly be greatly lessened.

If.

Bonaire is a relatively small island with a small population. Crime mapping, remote video etc, an anonymous tip line/email, good old fashioned police work, like questioning the drug arrests etc, there's a lot of options that could be effectively used without spending a million dollars.

Factor in added police staff, salaries, benefits, etc…, and you could be looking at a lot of money. Is this so divers can eat ham sandwiches between dives, or are you also talking about burglaries, the drug scene, and so forth?

What's next, maybe a tourist gets murdered?

Any place that gets enough thousands of tourists for enough years running is eventually going to have a murder of a tourist. Tragic but it may not prove much. We'll see when it happens.

But, it is what it is, right?

Yes. And until your 'ifs' become reality, it's going to stay what it is, and prospective dive tourists would be well-served to know the score and what they can do within reason to maximize their chance of a great trip. I'm not saying it's perfect, justified or 'right,' but this is the situation we have to work with, and unless and until that changes, this is how we work with it.

Richard.

The crime is not the victim's fault. In regards to petty theft from parked rental trucks at dive sites, there are standardized simple measures posing not great cost or inconvenience that can make the risk of such almost negligible (doors unlocked, windows down, no valuables left in truck). If someone ignores all that, it is not his fault if his window is broken and his ham sandwich stolen. But there are ways to minimize risk and I think most of us choose to do so.

When does the madness end? Let me explain, in a civilized society there is a basic expectation of security. Bonaire is not a 3rd world country or a remote location with the Taliban running around.

If you say its reasonable that you have to take your reasonable precautions which are DON'T BRING ANYTHING YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT BECAUSE IT'S LIKELY TO GET STOLEN, IF YOU LEAVE IT IN YOUR RENTAL VEHICLE, then I say you should be just as reasonable to forgo any resemblance of security in your hotel room, and if someone takes your laptop, so be it, you screwed up, you brought it along to Bonaire. Next I want you to give up any reasonable expectations of security in your own home also, if somebody steals your TV, so be it, you screwed up by owning one. Don't call the cops, don't report it, suck it up, that's life, they are supposed to steal your TV set.

You are supposed to be able to lock a car without the threat of it being broken into. Everyone repeat that out loud three times and stop the craziness and denial. :shakehead:

Reasonable expectations are if you lock something it should be safe. Now once in a great while somebody will step out of these bounds and a break in will occur, this is norm in society there are always going to be exceptions. With these exceptions you then have law enforcement to step in and catch these few individuals who step outside what is considered reasonable and they get put in jail. When you don't have that occurring you get the destruction of reasonable expectations and crazy work-arounds such as- don't lock the car because your car will be broken into and the windows broken. That's the failure people, not the accepted norm of society. That's the result of accepting no law enforcement, no justice system doing it's job. Stop empowering the criminals by accepting unreasonable lack of law enforcement and writing it off to - that's just what you have to do. If you're so ready to accept that, then you better be ready to accept the next escalation which is your hotel isn't safe via reasonable security precautions either. Everytime anyone accepts that the criminals run the island and that's just the way it is, its one more step down the slippery slope to escalations of crime like next thing you know they will be robbing grocery stores.

Oh, wait, we are already there now aren't we. :rofl3:

If you have tolerance for petty crime, don't come a crying when you're a victim of major crime from a criminal who was once a petty criminal.

Mike:

That basic expectation of security has its limits. The fact we lock things at all shows that.

Judging from reports posted by people who did leave some things in their truck during dives, I don't think your item is 'likely' (as in more likely than not) to get stolen on a given surface interval. Keep it up over time and that may change. As for your examples of hotel room or home theft, those are matters of degree, generally involving a more serious, determined and pre-meditated criminal act with higher stakes; the risk of a criminal/victim face-off and violence/injury is drastically higher.

When you don't have that occurring you get the destruction of reasonable expectations and crazy work-arounds such as- don't lock the car because your car will be broken into and the windows broken. That's the failure people not the accepted norm of society.

How is it crazy when it works fine for most people? Especially given that your car likely won't be broken into; it's not automatic. The norm of Bonaire at dive sites is fairly unique. But you know, now that I think of it, when I drive around with my iPad Mini Retina here in southwestern KY, if I leave it in the car I lay something on top of it to reduce the risk of 'smash and grab' crimes of opportunity. Should I be able to securely leave my personal property in my car without theft? Yes. Is it still smart to lock the car & hide the expensive tech. gadget? Yes.

I understand that some people feel morally entitled to lock their vehicle without substantial risk it will be broken into. And I agree. But at this time, and for the reasonably foreseeable future, we're not practically empowered to do it. So the work-around is, for now, effective.

I concur that a big escalation in resort room break ins and violent crime against tourists will be another story. If it comes to pass.

Richard.

After some serious thought, I'm not sure that putting any money and effort into eliminating petty theft at dive sites would be a good idea. I have had a hard time getting my preferred reservations on a number of occasions. Based on this thread, it looks like resolving that issue might make Bonaire an even more popular destination. Sure, they could develop more tourist facilities. And they might even have to put in some traffic lights. Their goes the uncrowded diving I really enjoy.

OK. maybe on my next trip I will have to take some action. I could always use another pair of $5 flip-flops and it would be for a good cause. Or maybe that snack. But why the hell would you go with a ham sandwich when they have all that great salami. Oh, and could you make it an Amstel Bock rather than Gatorade?

I have had my window smashed and stereo stolen. In the USA. In a very safe area with low crime. Also had a truck box pried open and relieved of my tools. In the USA. Another very safe area with low crime. In a popular USA dive destination...had 4 adult men enter the condo we were staying in just after we went to bed thankfully we werent asleep and chased them off....in all 3 cases guess what...the police took reports but did nothing past that. You think that I should be able to lock things up and people would leave them alone...I mean this is the USA and all. Maybe the police should be stationed in all parking lots to ensure this doesn't happen.

I have lived and traveled in several large central and south American cities. Everyone has bars on their windows and many have high walls around their houses. Guess what...with a few simple precautions like leaving nothing of value in cars I had zero incidents.

Some people here live in a serious fantasy land....and really need to stick to cruise ship dive trips and AI resorts to maintain their illusion of security. Leave the "dangerous locales" like Bonaire to us more realistic types.

Just out of curiosity how much do they get for used t-shirts flipflops etc after they steal them? I am not trying to be funny I just dont get that they would take such risks (being caught) for such small reward.

Stuff like you're talking about some people chance without incident. Now, if it's a nice, new t-shirt somebody else might want, I don't know.

Richard.

One time I was diving up north at 1000 steps, after we geared up and the others had entered the water, I returned to the truck to leave a t shirt. As I got to the top there were four kids circling the truck. There was nothing in it and they ran back into the bushes/cactus when they saw me. They were very young, maybe 10 to 12 years old. I laid out my old t shirt on the hood and loudly told them they could have it if they really needed it. It was still there when I got back. When I go on dive trips I bring freebie/advertising t shirts to use on the boat or at the beach and leave them behind if they are wanted.

Back
Top Bottom