Zhung Kong Robbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned home last night with my family of 5 after a great week's diving and look forward to returning again. This was our fourth trip to Bonaire. We had no problem what so ever with theft but then again we never left anything of value in the truck and always left the windows down. We did loose a pair of dive boots at the wash tank at Buddy's on day 1 but I think that was just a case of mistaken identity since lots of people dive with the same brand of boots. As for Zhung Kong I did see uniformed private security roaming the parking lot every night when we passed by after dinner....the bar next door was still open.

Let me ask you this...If someone was robbing your condo do you think a call to the cops would result in any significant action? Would you feel remotely better once the police were called?

I love Bonaire, but it has it's faults
The answer is simple.. No & No. However if my home in NH were broken in, my answers would remain the same. That is the reason I have alarm systems on both my property on Bonaire and NH. And for those of you deploring the crime issues, I think we can agree that one of the reasons for vandalism is poverty. Diving is an expensive sport and going to an island for a dive vacation is also expensive. So when you leave Iphones, lap tops etc etc around for easy picking, well human nature is what it is. And for those who will feel compelled to jump on this statement, I do not condone thefts, vandalism or any other maladies taking place on Bonaire in any way, shape or form. From recent stats, 57% of the population have an income of $20,000 or less. So bear that in mind when you wonder why anyone would steal your old t shirt or sandwich or whatever from your dive truck. Please check out this week's issue of the Bonaire Reporter, page 5.
Welcome to The Bonaire Reporter

Last edited:
1. The ratio of posts condemning the Bonaire crime situation to the number of reports must be on the order of 100 to 1.
2. The ratio of posts condemning the Bonaire crime situation to the number of verifiable reports must be more like 1000 to 1.
3. Some visitors, like me and many, many other divers, do not consider Bonaire to have a crime situation worse than found in most other world destinations, including most in the US, I have traveled.
4. Some folks who are travel writers also disagree with the view that Bonaire is inherently crime ridden.
5. Apparently, actual data support the opposing view, namely, that Bonaire is one of the safer locations in the Caribbean.
6. Bonaire is actually on a list of the Top Six Most Secure places in the Caribbean
7. The US State Department (click the link to see info about all islands in the Carabbean) has the following to say:
CRIME: The crime threat in the BES islands [Bonaire, Eustatius, Saba] is generally considered low, although travelers should always take precautions when in unfamiliar surroundings. There have been incidents of theft from hotel rooms and vehicles. Armed robberies have been known to occur. Valuables left unattended on beaches, in cars and in hotel lobbies are easy targets for theft. Jewelry, phones, cameras and other electronics are the most commonly stolen items.

Car theft, especially of rental vehicles, can occur. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen or damaged. Be sure you are sufficiently insured when renting vehicles and jet skis.
IMHO, most divers are not nearly as paranoid as some who post here, decrying the supposed inactivity of the Dutch and Bonaire police.

The answer is simple.. No & No. However if my home in NH were broken in, my answers would remain the same. That is the reason I have alarm systems on both my property on Bonaire and NH. And for those of you deploring the crime issues, I think we can agree that one of the reasons for vandalism is poverty. Diving is an expensive sport and going to an island for a dive vacation is also expensive. So when you leave Iphones, lap tops etc etc around for easy picking, well human nature is what it is. And for those who will feel compelled to jump on this statement, I do not condone thefts, vandalism or any other maladies taking place on Bonaire in any way, shape or form. From recent stats, 57% of the population have an income of $20,000 or less. So bear that in mind when you wonder why anyone would steal your old t shirt or sandwich or whatever from your dive truck. Please check out this week's issue of the Bonaire Reporter, page 5.
Welcome to The Bonaire Reporter

hmm. Yet, you cannot "for the life of you" grasp why i commented that there was zero police presence on the island? selective reasoning? I won't get into eye exams like you mentioned. If I do not see the Police (Polis) and I do not feel that they would show up if there was a problem...then that equals zero presence to me.

Vince, i understand that any negative mention of Bonaire could hurt you in the wallet but your glossing over true issues does visitors to the island a disservice.

I call 'em the way I see 'em Scott. If you believe there is an ulterior profit motive to my postings, that's your right. But for brevity, let's just say we'll agree to disagree. :wink:

There have been a few articles recently on Bonaire Reporter (Page 3 of the recent issue) that Bonaire Police have been given "eaxtrordinary powers" to combat the recent wave of armed crime (which some people say is not really happening) but most of their actions seem to be stopping and seaching vehicles. That might help in dealing with drug-related crime but more often than not it will be the tourists who might be affected by it. But how is issuing fines or impounding cars going to help with break-ins or armed robberries?

There have been a few articles recently on Bonaire Reporter (Page 3 of the recent issue) that Bonaire Police have been given "eaxtrordinary powers" to combat the recent wave of armed crime (which some people say is not really happening) but most of their actions seem to be stopping and seaching vehicles. That might help in dealing with drug-related crime but more often than not it will be the tourists who might be affected by it. But how is issuing fines or impounding cars going to help with break-ins or armed robberries?
In the current Bonaire Reporter, there are three separate police actions described. One is the acquisition of three new deputies brought in for a limited period from Aruba. One is the granting of "extraordinary powers" to combat the armed robbers. The third is a vehicle stop and check program. This has nothing to do with the robberies and was planned in advance of the robberies as a method to "increase awareness of the new Traffic Regulations which will soon be introduced on Bonaire."

Just finished reading this thread. The irony of Americans discussing crime on Bonaire as a reason not to visit is priceless. Mike just don't go to Bonaire it's OK the island will survive without you, Drrich2 SHHHHH! the less people who go the better for us. Let them hide under their bed in fear. I have had 150+ dives on the island and looking forward to 150 more.

I think I'll put a cooler with Gatorade in my rental truck when I go to shore dive Bonaire, except one of those Gatorade bottles will have had a full dose of magnesium citrate. I won't get my cooler back, but there would definitely be a little retribution from whomever drinks that Gatorade.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom