Zika in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your link to a study that Zika-infected mice may not be able to locate a piece of cheese in a maze as quickly as mice not infected does not cause me concern as I'm not a mouse.
But you are, in fact, a mammal and as such are much more like a mouse than, say, a fish. If mice are susceptible to the zika virus, reports of the virus' effects on their nervous systems maybe should at least give you pause. I'm not saying that I think you should panic and cancel your vacation, but perhaps a little less cavalier attitude might be appropriate.

Smashing mice on their heads with hammers 5 times their body weights also impairs their ability to traverse mazes. Since you are not a mouse, are you not concerned about being smashed on your head with a hammer 5 times your body weight?

I intend to apply bug spray and proceed to enjoy my dive vacation without further concern. If others chose to cease Caribbean travel and diving so be it. I do wonder if all those in dire fear of Zika who reside in Florida and perhaps the lower 1/4 of the United States intend to relocate further north as Zika spreads throughout the region (as I think it is probably just a matter of time). If so, count me in on snatching up some nice southern waterfront real estate dirt cheap.

I intend to apply bug spray and proceed to enjoy my dive vacation without further concern. If others chose to cease Caribbean travel and diving so be it. I do wonder if all those in dire fear of Zika who reside in Florida and perhaps the lower 1/4 of the United States intend to relocate further north as Zika spreads throughout the region (as I think it is probably just a matter of time). If so, count me in on snatching up some nice southern waterfront real estate dirt cheap.
Zika is already in Florida. It's been on the local news quite a bit lately. Actually I think there was an article in a national news source that made it sound like a coverup of zika in FL had been attempted.

I'm not moving, but bugspray is on the menu for outdoor activities. Also, I already have a mosquito trap, bug zapper, and citronella torches for my pool area. Even without the disease consideration, they're downright unpleasant.

Moving your home, and changing vacation destinations are on a whole different level in my opinion.

As for the USA, the CDC says zika is spread by a particular type of mosquito and that that mosquito is found almost everywhere in the US. Zika Virus

Lots of news articles are still playing down the possibility of zika spreading in the US. Doesn't make sense to me, maybe they're just trying to stymie panic.

Last edited:
I traveled to Cozumel earlier in the year and will be headed down to Florida in a couple weeks. No worries here. I refuse to let fear and overblown media reports dictate my travel plans. Headed to Europe in October as well.

My point in this thread was not to say "stay away from places that have Zika."

It was to remind folks to "use DEET repellent when you go to places that have Zika."

I intend to apply bug spray and proceed to enjoy my dive vacation without further concern. If others chose to cease Caribbean travel and diving so be it.
Straw man. No one in here has suggested anything of the kind.

Miami has an alert now I heard. We spoke to a guy last week whose whose whole family had it. They were instructed to take the blood test to the SS (Gov) Hospital and show the results to a particular doctor. The private clinic even made the appointment so they gov would be aware. The gov hospital turned them always saying they had no such doctor, there was no appointment and the test must be wrong as Coz doesn't have any zika. These are the same people that had dengue patients stacked in the halls a few years ago and said there were a few cases.

But hey, I went then. Went during swine flu. Was there this week after a friend sent me pics even of her zika rash. I did used DEET more regularly and made my peeps do it to. You can accept there is a problem and work on dealing with it and balancing risks and protecting those around you even if you aren't likely getting pregnant. And maybe think on doing more than taking B1 and rubbing orange peel on yourself or whatnot. It doesn't have to a death wish vs media BS. It's Zika, not a presidential election.....

We spoke to a guy last week whose whose whole family had it. They were instructed to take the blood test to the SS (Gov) Hospital and show the results to a particular doctor. The private clinic even made the appointment so they gov would be aware. The gov hospital turned them always saying they had no such doctor, there was no appointment and the test must be wrong as Coz doesn't have any zika. These are the same people that had dengue patients stacked in the halls a few years ago and said there were a few cases.
QUOTE]

(Humor not hysteria, I hope to be back on the island in two weeks with my Deet)

Last edited:
Went during swine flu.
So did I. No cruise ships, uncrowded restaurants and dive sites... it was wonderful, and everyone I dealt with on the island was very glad to see me there. Friends here tried to dissuade me from going, but I pointed out that the cases in Mexico City were a lot closer to me here in Austin than they would be in Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom