Zika

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing what a nap, dinner and a walk with the dog along the railroad tracks will do for my spirits, not to mention my willingness to surf the CDC website for Zika, Belize and Me.

Here's the link for Zika Virus in Belize - Alert - Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC.

Basically, avoid being bitten by mosquitos. Even for three weeks after you come home in case you got the virus while you were there. Wear a condom whenever you have sex (with anyone other than yourself). Don't go if you're pregnant.

While trying to avoid being bitten by mosquitos is always high on my list of things I like to do in Belize, sometimes it's just not possible. I'm thinking more about jungle stuff like clambering over Mayan ruins rather than hanging on the coast where a good breeze often keeps mosquitos at bay. But it's a risk I'm willing to take, especially given that I'm not pregnant, I'm not going to be pregnant and thanks to the miracle of modern medicine (snip!) I can't actually make anyone else pregnant either.

Is anyone else encountering a weird window requiring sign in when entering this thread? I've just been pressing cancel and that leaves a large 401 message box at top of thread. I've never seen anything like it here at Scubaboard.

My experience is that the mosquitos are mostly in the parking lots waiting for tourists. I usually don't find many in the jungle.

I've lived in Belize over 25 years and just roll my eyes at these Travel Advisories and CDC reports. I think concern over Zika or Malaria from a tourist is laughable. If I said I was afraid to visit the United States because I didn't want to get shot in a drive-by would you think I had an unrealistic concern?

i think travel warnings are about preventing the spread of the disease, and infection of pregnant women. fortunately for me living close to washington dc, drive by shootings are not contagious.

I've lived in Belize over 25 years and just roll my eyes at these Travel Advisories and CDC reports. I think concern over Zika or Malaria from a tourist is laughable. If I said I was afraid to visit the United States because I didn't want to get shot in a drive-by would you think I had an unrealistic concern?

I agree. I have been traveling to tropical dive locations for 20 years. All of the Caribbean, Central America, PNG, Indonesia etc. I have never gotten sick or picked up anything. On the flip side, at home in the USA , I work in retail and I am exposed to all sorts of nasty things on a daily basis.

there are 120 pregnant women in the US with Zika. What you are exposed to in retail in the US doesnt come close to what you are exposed to in tropical areas. Your comment is probably the most ignorant I have seen in a long time.

Zika virus transmission occurs in Belize. Inaccurate information from ignorant locals should be discounted. The internet is a source of much information, much of it, inaccurate. Zika Virus in Belize - Alert - Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC

there are 120 pregnant women in the US with Zika. What you are exposed to in retail in the US doesnt come close to what you are exposed to in tropical areas. Your comment is probably the most ignorant I have seen in a long time.

Thank you for that insightful and intelligent response. Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom