That's *not* what I meant by "dive buddy"!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
Kinda makes you wonder how many divers you could get breathing off one tank at the same time at the bottom of a pool... Oooooh... throw in an H-valve (or Y-valve) and you could *double* the number breathing off one tank (according to the official rules, doubles are cheating). Any chance a dozen or two ScubaBoarders might want to set the SB record for divers breathing off one tank.

Rules:
  • One cylinder.
  • Multiple first stages (eg. Y- and H-valves) allowed.
  • Divers may rest on the bottom but must be deep enough for an upraised hand to to not break the surface.
  • Minimum bottom time: 5 minutes from last to submerge (to assure that it's scuba, not breath-holding).
  • Divers must be certified prior to participating (no students, for their own safety).
  • The whole thing must be recorded on video and posted to the net (eg. YouTube) as an example of something that ought never have been done (and if done improperly could have easily caused life-threatening injuries to the parties involved).
(You don't think anyone would actually be crazy enough to try it, do you? Hmm... well, I guess we do have an entire disorganization created in support of ScubUNO... Oh, nuts!)
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: ..........whooooweeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Better remember all the slack jawed mouth breathers out there. Someday it'll be tried and God forbid there are injuries. There will be a trial to find out what went wrong and who is responsible. This thread will be discovered and think of all the ambulance chasers who get visions of granduer. :crafty:

tedj01:
I remember an ad with pictures I saw once for a regulator that had been customized to more have many more LP ports. The rest is based on what sometimes is faulty memory - need to get new RAM. I believe it was a Scubapro MK 10 with 14 LP ports. It picture had 13 divers in the English Channel at 60 feet surrounding a bare tank with the Mk10 attached. All divers were kneeling on the bottom breathing off 13 second stages hooked up the the MK10. It kinda blew away the theory a single diver could over-breathe a regulator! Anybody else remember this; I wish I had saved it now!

How about 101 divers breathing off a single Mares MR22?

O2BBubbleFree:
Aha! They may have set the world record for breathing off a single first stage, but they didn't conform to the "deep enough that your hand can't break the surface" rule! :wink:

Best line: "From above, the view was a fascinating array of legs pointing outwards, like a giant starfish in a Jacuzzi." (emphasis mine)

When I see this it makes me ask.. "
What would Mike Nelson have done :scubadive ??"
I know it's just TV and about 40 years before I started diving, but I do get the impression that this would not have been such a big deal back then.
But then again.. I believe a lot more people died diving.

DawgDiver:
Haha there is no limit to what some people will do.

You are absolutely right.

A few years back, there was a rescue (or body recovery) operation going on at one of the florida springs where three guys decided to 'snorkle' into the cave/cavern by going from air pocket to air pocket. No scuba gear, just breath holding.

See news article pasted below:

Chassahowitzka, FL - Officials say a 22-year-old man died while cave snorkeling with friends near Crystal River early yesterday morning.

According to a report, Jason Boyette and three friends were taking turns putting on a single set of snorkeling gear and diving with a flashlight to explore underwater caves of the Chassahowitzka river.

Friends say Boyette was the last to go in the water and never returned. They called authorities at about 3:30 a-m. Divers with the Hernando County Sheriffs Office found Boyette's body stuck in an underwater cave more than five hours later.

Reports say Jason is a former Wesley Chapel High School football star and had been working to become a firefighter. Friends say alcohol was not involved.

Back
Top Bottom