Heart Attack and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

labaum

Registered
Reaction score
On Sunday April 1, at age 58, I suffered a heart attack. (Ironically, I went diving that Saturday. Did the first dive, didn't feel well, and skipped the second).
Long story short, I now have stents in my left anterior descending and proximal right coronary artery and went through an ablation for supraventricular tachycardia.
While I've been told that this dive season is scrubbed (I keep telling my wife that I'm going to dive next month, but stay within a hundred feet. She doesn't see the humor, I'm afraid), I was wondering if through proper exercise (I was in pretty good shape to begin with), successful recovery, and favorable stress tests if I might be able to dive again next year?
Much thanks.

My Husband had 2 stents put in November of 2002 and then ended up with quad bypass in June 2004. He was back diving after 4 months. We did a shallow 20 footer to see what it felt like and he felt great. Take it slow, take care of yourself, follow the Doctors directions and hope for the best. Best Luck to you!!!

labaum:
On Sunday April 1, at age 58, I suffered a heart attack. (Ironically, I went diving that Saturday. Did the first dive, didn't feel well, and skipped the second).
Long story short, I now have stents in my left anterior descending and proximal right coronary artery and went through an ablation for supraventricular tachycardia.
While I've been told that this dive season is scrubbed (I keep telling my wife that I'm going to dive next month, but stay within a hundred feet. She doesn't see the humor, I'm afraid), I was wondering if through proper exercise (I was in pretty good shape to begin with), successful recovery, and favorable stress tests if I might be able to dive again next year?
Much thanks.

Yes, if you can do a stress test at 13 Mets, all is well. If not, it will be based on the judgment of the clearing doc.

Just to add to what Saturation had to say, if I were in your position, I would want to wait at least six months to a year to be sure the ablation took and held. Having an arrhythmia underwater would NOT be a good thing.

DAN on Heart Attacks

more info here (Session by Bove):

Fitness to Dive.
Vorosmarti J, Linaweaver PG (eds). 34th Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Workshop.
UHMS Publication Number 70(WS-WD)5-1-87. 1987
RRR ID: 4249

BTW - Missed you 'Saturation', hope you had some nice dives!

As a cardiologist, the general recommendation for returning to diving after suffering a herat attack is you need to heal from the heart attack and complete cardiac rehab which will likely take a few months. You would also need to pass a treadmill test showing good exercise tolerance (13 METS -- your cardiologist will know what this means) and no limitation to blood flow to your heart. Additionally you will need to have an echocardiogram (or similar test) showing normal heart muscle function.

Since you also underwent stent implantation, this plays a role as well. The general recommendation is that you not dive for six months after the stent to make sure it is not going to renarrow. At six months, like the above, you would need to pass a treadmill and have normal heart muscle function.

So, once you're six months out from the heart attack/stent placement you could possibly be back in the water. If the arrhythmia hasn't recurred by then, that shouldn't be an issue.

Best of luck!

Good call on the second dive, probly saved your life. Wow, close. Good luck on healing.

I had a heart attack last Dec. 11, 2006 and in the ensuing angiogram revealed 100% and 70% blockages in my arteries (LAD). I underwent an angioplasty with stenting procedure (2 stents) and was discharge 2 weeks after. I've gone through 3 phases of rehab which included exercise and muscle toning and is enrolled in a gym now. I've had 2 stress tests (bruce protocol) with results of 12.4mets (Jan 07) and 14.6mets (Feb 07).

My doctor cleared me for a pool dive last Feb 24, 2006. Everything checked out fine. Last April 6 was my 1st salt water dive. Diver dennis and Wolverine were there to witness my first post stent dive. As soon as we entered the water we were hit by a current...I loved it, my mask kept leaking cuz I couldn't stop smiling...I was back in the water again, stronger and better. I did eight dives in 2 1/2 days of diving, my deepest was 94 feet. Bottom time was 70 mins. average.

I'm diving again at the end of April:). It's nice to be alive....

Lab, you can and will be able to dive again.

I can't thank everyone enough for your advice, counsel, encouragement, information, and concern.
The irony (I love irony) is that this was the year I upgraded my gear (new Scubapro Knighthawk and Henderson 3mm Gold Core) and accepted the position of local dive coordinator for my dive club.
Like they say, "Man plans and God laughs".
Again, the deepest appreciation (and best of luck) to you all.

Back
Top Bottom