What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know Evinrude makes a really awesome 2 stroke line, E-Tec they are EPA and CARB approved. Supposed to be as clean or cleaner than most 4 strokes. I looked at the 115hp for my Zodiac, but dont want to drop the $$ for it. (+/- $8000)

For those out for a new O.B. for a fast dive boat the E-Tec i just awsome. I bet there's just not any other motor that does the work better than this one, and service only every 3.rd year...

YouTube - The New Act in Show Skiing

Maybe this would be a good Great Lakes dive boat. I think the guy bumped it into reverse myself by accident. Funny video, non self bailing design obviously.

N

Of course that was deliberate - it takes effort to bang that boat into reverse and the reactions of the passengers was way to calm for that to be an accident. The girl deliberately sat her back into the seat before the stunt.

I hope they have a water proof engine cover for that though.....

The sub move is nothing new, its very easy to do on a jet boat as you don't need to change gears. Just get up to speed and drop the reverse bucket. I have a Seadoo, its self bailing and the boat can handle it. I did have to replace my wifes palm pilot after she brought her purse on board one time. You can also doo spins (reverse bucket and turn, spinnng the boat 180-270 or more depending on HP and how big a set you have).

Unfortunatly, my jet boats blows (pun intended) as a dive boat.

That boat is not a jet drive, it is an inboard and like Matt said, he appears to have put it in reverse on purpose--why---some people like ruining expensive equipment and that is an expensive and very respected competition ski boat. It is also a good example of water over the bow into a low profile non self bailing design--in this case--purposely it seems. N

I realize that it was a inboard prop and the guy may have damaged his gearbox. If it was an outboard he might have ripped off his transom for all I know. Some people have more money than brains, boating, cars, diving, trophy wives, no difference. I was only pointing out that you can do that move and some other crazy things with a degree of safety in a jet drive (which are often self bailing and in my case also have 2 high capacity bilge pumps).

Kompressor, what do you think of this all aluminum CC made by SeaArk of Arkansas? They have a varity of all aluminum versions, mostly it seems custom built. Looks alot like the boat you have posted in overall layout?

SeaArk Boats & SeaArk Marine, workboat, aluminum, boat, welded, vessel, launch, fishing, deck, john, bass, monark, patrol oil, fire, barge, excursion, survey, dive, pilot, pollution

Twenty one footer:

21_ft_commander_cc.jpg

twenty three footer:

23_v_commandercc.jpg

This is for people who like to shoot guns, big guns:

YouTube - Brunswick Commercial & Government Products

N

Kompressor, what do you think of this all aluminum CC made by SeaArk of Arkansas? They have a varity of all aluminum versions, mostly it seems custom built. Looks alot like the boat you have posted in overall layout?

SeaArk Boats & SeaArk Marine, workboat, aluminum, boat, welded, vessel, launch, fishing, deck, john, bass, monark, patrol oil, fire, barge, excursion, survey, dive, pilot, pollution

Twenty one footer:

21_ft_commander_cc.jpg

twenty three footer:

23_v_commandercc.jpg

This is for people who like to shoot guns, big guns:

YouTube - Brunswick Commercial & Government Products

N

You bet! They would be my kind of boats! :D

With a single 250 H.O. Evinrude E-Tec :biggrin2:

Q4LOHO076x4jpg_OH_07_500.jpg

Q4LR08076x4_PB_07_700.jpg

index.cfm

Kompressor, SeaArk is built just a few miles from my hometown. I had been by there but never thought about them due mostly to my misdirected hatred of aluminum boats (I admit that I was wrong there). My cousin had this LoneStar 20 footer I think it was, all aluminum, 90 horse Johnson, circa lae 70s. I hated that boat, it would pound your brains out and it rocked like a tin pan on the drift or at anchor. It would also get hotter than hades in the Florida sun. Nontheless we dove a lot of places out of Destin and Panama City and Keaton Beach with it. It leaked too, really badly. But it is clear to me that these heavy duty aluminum boats are not the same animal and I suppose light colored reflective paints will reduce the "frying pan" effect. Does anybody know if these boats are hot to the touch in the sun? Are they noisy on the water while underway? What about long term saltweater use, being most of us trailer or lift our boats it seems like a freshwater rinse and annodes would take of corrosion. What series aluminum are those, they are obviously welding the joints. That bow ladder/step, is that so you can rig up and go off from the bow and recover over the stern?

Here is another US maker of plate aluminum boats:

V26SCS Supercab Sleeper New!

Here is a brochure pic of a LoneStar cruiser similar to the one I loved so much. I have slides of us diving/fishing from it in the 70s somewhere, I am not going to dig through the archives for them but we did have a lot of fun on that boat.

lonestarb63012.jpg

N

If I were building a boat for commercial and charter use aluminum would be my choise. It is tough and easy to repair. It's disadvantages are it can't be easy formed into complex shapes like fiberglass can and it is more maintenance intensive because of the need for painting for appearance and corrosion prevention.

http://www.geocities.com/alloyed2sea/AboutMarineAluminum.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom