What does certification REALLY mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AOW only takes you to 100ft. And it does not prohibit you from going to 130ft or 530ft. Certification is not a license, it is evidence of training. It is the industry that has standardized, right or wrong, on AOW being required to do a deep dive. In OW they advise you that you are trained to dive no deeper than 130ft, and reccomend you dive no deeper than 60ft as a new diver, 100ft after some training and/or experience, and 130 after more training and/or experience. This is advice, not a required limitation. There is absolutetly no laws or enforcement on diving depths.

As we all know and dislike (at least I do), there seems to be some pretty significant differences between courses (Agency to Agency AND Instructor to Instructor). AOW does not take you to 100' unless the conditions allow for it. Mine went to 103' and the same Instructor went to 80' a month later. Bottom line is, nothing is going to change. Divers will do what divers will do. The courses as we know them today will change (just as they have since I certified 6 years ago and 4 years ago). What we discuss here will not make policy. Hopefully it will enlighten a diver somewhere, sometime to dive within their limits of training and comfort.

I am simply all for a new diver taking it slow where others would see them rushing through the process. We differ...it is allowed.

It can take you to 100 ft. It's also quite possible it only took you to 60 ft.

In this part of the country AOW is typically limited to 80 feet or less, since getting out to 100 feet or better is quite a boat ride.

AOW can be a valuable experience for new divers, but as it stands it should not "qualify" someone to dive where OW will not allow.

The definitions below are based in on nursing definitions that my wife turned me on to in: Benner, P (1984) From Novice to Expert: Excellence and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice, Menlo Park CA, Addison-Wesley

There was a time when a certified diver was competent, now they are almost always a novice, rarely a beginner. There was a time when an instructor was an expert, today one is lucky to find one that is proficient.

Novice: Diving knowledge is minimal and solely 'textbook.' It does not connect decisions with actions and ignores the context in which the action will be taken. The available suite of skills rigidly adhere to learned rules, other responses are not readily available. The possible use of knowledge for planning is without situational awareness and lacks discretionary judgment. The diver has available only rational decision making tools, nothing is intuitive or holistic. Individual actions are seen (and taken) in isolation with no conception of, or capability to deal with, complexity. Performance is unlikely to be satisfactory unless closely supervised.

Beginner: The diver has developed a working knowledge of key aspects of tasks and appreciates that complex diving situations exist. Since situational awareness is limited, all attributes and aspects tend to be treated separately and given equal importance. Though the begins to use global characteristics of situations that are recognized from limited prior experience, problems are primarily solved by using rote guidelines for action that are based on a situational attributes. The diver is starting to make rudimentary attempts to decide on appropriate actions in context, but is limited to applying actions as a series of steps, and thus can not be expected to successfully resolve complex situations. Though supervision is needed for the accomplishment of the overall task, straightforward tasks likely to be completed to an acceptable standard and the beginner is able to achieve some steps using own judgment.

Competent: The diver now has a good working, as well as some background, knowledge of diving and as a result can deal with knowledge in context. Recognition of relevance is now present. Actions are seen, at least partly, in terms of longer-term goals. The dive is able to cope with simple multiple, simultaneous, competing inputs. Sees actions (at least partially) in terms of longer-term goals. The diver performs best with standardized and routine procedures, but is able to achieve most tasks using own judgment and can engage in conscious and deliberate planning. Skills are fit for the purpose intended, though may lack refinement.

Proficient: Posses a depth of understanding of the disciplines that make up diving as well and those specific to diving so that the diver can make a holistic assessment in context rather than just an analytic one. The diver can deal with complex situations holistically, and decision-making is more confident. Performing to a fully acceptable standard is routine, as is seeing what is most important in a situation. Deviations from the normal pattern are quickly perceived. Decision-making is less labored. Maxims are used for guidance, but there is understanding that conclusions will (and should) vary according to the situation. The diver sees the overall 'picture' and how individual actions fit within it. The diver is able to take full responsibility for own work (and that of others where applicable).

Expert: The diver is capable of making correct decisions on an intuitive basis (e.g., no longer needs to rely on rules, guidelines or maxims) and posses authoritative knowledge of disciplines that make up diving that leads to a deep tacit understanding and a holistic and intuitive grasp of situations. In complex situations, the diver moves easily between intuitive and analytical approaches, using analytic approaches used only in completely novel situations or when problems occur. The diver sees the overall 'picture' and simultaneously grasps alternative approaches. Is comfortable taking responsibility for going beyond existing standards and creating original interpretations using a vision of what is possible. Excellence is achieved with relative ease.

Last edited:
No I do not have statistics however anybody with eyes and the ability to interperet the funny little characters on ScubaBoard called text has the ability to read the many stories of people diving to great depths with 8 or 10 (just randomn numbers so don't you go getting caught up on the specific numbers) or penetrating wrecks with 10 or 15 dives (again just numbers). These things happen all the time....and often they are "trust me" dives.
So.....people diving beyond their capabilities - regardless of their level of certification. Not surprising. Considering the words of a wise lad I sort of know:

Divers will do what divers will do.

So will dive agencies and dive operators. Those are the facts. Everyone needs make money, and more is usually seen as better than less. That's not likely to change.

My point it, if you do not certify people to go to 130' which is essentially what AOW does....
FWIW, an instructor recently told me that AOW only certifies you to go 90' or 100' feet. You need Deep Diver to go all the way to 130. Not my info - just something I was told recently.

the maybe, just maybe, fewer charters around the globe will take them.
Imagine how many lives we could save if we just banned diving altogether....

The way I see it - people should be educated as to the risks. What they DO with that information is really up to them. That's where personal responsibility comes in. If they're told, "hey, don't do this because it's very dangerous without the proper experience and training" and then they go and do it anyway, I just don't see that as a failure of the cert agency, its policies, procedures, training, level of quality, the boat captain, dive operator, or anyone else. I put it squarely on the diver who chose to ignore his training and simply do what he wanted to do anyway.

Then you either have given the concept very little thought or you have no concept of quality beyond survival.
Ah, now see, QUALITY is an entirely different issue. If you argument is about QUALITY - well - most people have no appreciation for quality whatsoever and relatively few are actually willing to pay significantly more for it, when other options exist. No matter what quality standards you come up with - you will always face this problem.

...........Imagine how many lives we could save if we just banned diving altogether.........

Thanks for adding value.

FWIW, AOW no longer exists within NAUI to the best of my knowledge and thie following excerpt is taken straight off thier website. This is the closest cross to what I took and as you can see, the magic number of 130' was not pulled from somewhere dark....

As part of your certification, you will complete a minimum of six open water dives including three separate dives for navigation, night or low visibility diving and deep diving (130 feet/40 meters maximum depth), plus three different dives. Some of the many different dives you can do include

Thanks for adding value.

FWIW, AOW no longer exists within NAUI to the best of my knowledge and thie following excerpt is taken straight off thier website. This is the closest cross to what I took and as you can see, the magic number of 130' was not pulled from somewhere dark....
NAUI Advanced Scuba no longer exists?

Back
Top Bottom