Tech Dive Wednesday July 1, Pompano - Lowrance Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Deepstops and I are trying to get at least 1 more person to dive the Lowrance on Wednesday July 1, so that we have enough people to run the trip. We want to go with Avid Diver - show up at 8:30 - for a 9am departure. If you want to go... Call Oliver @ (954) 854-7786

Avid Diver is a 6 pack. So right now - there's room for 4 more people.

The Lowrance is a deep wreck with depths ranging from 150 to 200 FSW.

Join us - it's a great dive. Please have the appropriate training and equipment for this dive; plan on a drifting decompression as well.

My buddy Howard and I took the morning off work to dive the Lowrance with Avid Diver Charters out of Pompano Beach, FL. We were a buddy team of two and there was a third diver onboard diving a Meg RB.

We had approximately 3 knots of current on the surface so the captain took us 1/10th of a mile up current for the drop which was spot-on. Viz was only about 30' near the surface but it opened up to about 70' below 100'. There was far less current on the wreck.
The surface temp was 84 and the bottom temp was a chilly 65 (the attached profile is depth and temp versus time and my computer reads 2 degrees high).
Our plan called for a 25 minute BT based on an average of 180' with a 62 minute RT. I think the fish life had run inshore to warmer waters because we didn't see a lot of fish except one amberjack that seemed really confused and let me get just a foot away from him. We swam the interior cargo hold end to end twice, stopping briefly to check out the engine room for a future dive.

At 25 minutes, we shot bags and had an uneventful deco but it felt like we jumped in a hot tub as we passed 80'. I shaved a few minutes from the planned schedule since our actual average depth was 170'.

Attachments

• lowrance20090701.jpg
    lowrance20090701.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 127
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom