The Philosophy of Diver Training

Initial Diver Training

• Divers should be trained to be dependent on a DM/Instructor

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Divers should be trained to dive independently.

Votes: 79 96.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's simply no reason to unexpectedly "run out" of air and there's no reason to have to share one second stage when you have two available.

Terry

Terry, while you are correct in this, I still take issue with people who say things like "there's simply no reason to unexpectedly `run out' of air" because, to my mind, they are saying that OOA is a non-issue and not worthy of being discussed. Some, but perhaps not you, also make such statements with a smug self-satisfaction that comes from thinking that they are superior and that this could never happen to them. Let me briefly share my own near-OOA experience. In Oct 2008 I was a newly-minted diver who had about 20 dives under his belt and had been certified five months earlier. I believe that I had not yet completed my AOW training. I am land-locked, so most of my dives had been in fresh water, that is, dull and gray. I check my gauges religiously - you would think that I would be the last person to get near-OOA. However, in Oct 2008 I jumped into the water off Quadra Island in British Columbia. I had never seen such colour and I spent the dive giggling like a little girl. Oh sure - I checked my gauges a few times, but I was very distracted by the invertebrate life, plus I was getting used to the current a bit (which was actually fun). At one point my dive buddy (who knew that I was new) motioned for me to check my gauges. I found to my surprise that I was down to 300 psi (in one Al 80) at 70 fsw. We had previously agreed that since I was a hoover I would surface on my own. I signaled my intent to surface and made a controlled ascent at about 60 fpm to thirty feet (consistent with my training), then at 30 fpm to twenty feet where I held on to some kelp and did a full three minute safety. As it happens, every inhalation at 20 feet dropped my tank pressure by about 5 psi. When my full three minutes were up I ascended slowly to the surface and ended up with a huge 50 psi (about ten breaths) in reserve.

I believe that, while it may be true that "there's simply no reason to unexpectedly `run out' of air," making this statement is not helpful. I feel it is better to acknowledge that OOA does happen and move on.

Postscript: According to my basic-OW licensing agency (ACUC) my depth restrictions were 80 feet for the first 20 dives or 10 hours accumulated dive time, then 130 feet after that point.

I do as well and everything we teach is in a manual. Somewhere. May not be the same one but it is written down. We are encouraged to add to and test on the additions if it will benefit students. I have a reading/website list I suggest and everything I teach can be easily accessed in our materials or the materials I hand out. Every student gets a copy of my "Who is Responsible" essay, a gas management sheet with SAC formulas and rock bottom info, and my "Safe Diving Practices" article. We have a bank of 160 plus questions we can add to the final exam or make quizzes from in addition to making our own. And what other agency will print custom student workbooks to suit your teaching style and training location and conditions.

And just to be clear, Walter and I are not "trying to fix" anything. We are following a 50 year tradition of skills and education based scuba training as opposed to one based on profit and high numbers of divers tossed into the water. If anyone is "trying to fix" anything it is the agency that is not only keeping this tradition alive but in some cases tightening up some things that may have gotten a little lax over the years in response to the lax attitudes towards education and skills that have been permeating the industry for a long time.

I did not start out with this type of training. It was after going thru the ranks and courses of a profit based set up that I grew disenchanted with what I saw. To the point that I almost quit altogether. Then I was made aware that there were other ways. And I have always been a person who puts great value in the old or traditional ways. No matter what area. If it works don't fix it. And these ways work. Are they as profitable? Maybe not, but I know I'd let my kid dive with anyone trained by Walter, Thal, DCBC, or any other instructor on here who teaches the way they do. I cannot say that about those who think a weekend course designed to allow someone to dive with a DM or Guide is OK.

Unless I'm getting paid to do it or teach someone something I won't dive with a buddy who does not have basic rescue skills, cannot control their buoyancy, or needs me to plan their dive for them. I'm safer solo. I know what I can and cannot do, what I need, and what the outcome will be if the crap really hits the fan.

Same thing is happening in public schools around here. Stupid rules the day and the local prodigies and geniuses are bored and some stop trying. Why lower standards just to accommodate and pacify the stupid? Equal opportunity does not mean equal ability.
In my opinion, standards should be raised and if someone desires to be whatever they want, they must work for it. Hard work, too often, goes unrewarded while the "stupid" or lazy get what they want with the constant lowering of expectations.

Please forgive the rabbit's trail. This is a topic that bothers the educator within.

I so totally agree with you and thanks for the scriptures. I am also going for my DM. I am a 52 year old women relying on the Lord and preparing myself for this training. I don't want to be one in the water that can't assist or instruct. But I do expect the divers to know what they are doing and not to be nonchalant with their training, expecting me to bail them out.

With all of this said, standards are set for a purpose. Whether that purpose is to make the best divers out there or to just grow the gear fed industry, I can not say but my opinion. When I eventually become a DM and instructor, I hope to follow the standards (okay maybe with a little extra stuff found in the back of the manual (that stuff I was not taught in my class at first)) and help my students become the best they can be.

Welcome to SB and hope to see you at Scubafest in Columbus. Drop by the SEI Diving booth and say Hi. ( hijack over please continue)

Terry, while you are correct in this, I still take issue with people who say things like "there's simply no reason to unexpectedly `run out' of air" because, to my mind, they are saying that OOA is a non-issue and not worthy of being discussed. Some, but perhaps not you, also make such statements with a smug self-satisfaction that comes from thinking that they are superior and that this could never happen to them. Let me briefly share my own near-OOA experience. In Oct 2008 I was a newly-minted diver who had about 20 dives under his belt and had been certified five months earlier. I believe that I had not yet completed my AOW training. I am land-locked, so most of my dives had been in fresh water, that is, dull and gray. I check my gauges religiously - you would think that I would be the last person to get near-OOA. However, in Oct 2008 I jumped into the water off Quadra Island in British Columbia. I had never seen such colour and I spent the dive giggling like a little girl. Oh sure - I checked my gauges a few times, but I was very distracted by the invertebrate life, plus I was getting used to the current a bit (which was actually fun). At one point my dive buddy (who knew that I was new) motioned for me to check my gauges. I found to my surprise that I was down to 300 psi (in one Al 80) at 70 fsw. We had previously agreed that since I was a hoover I would surface on my own. I signaled my intent to surface and made a controlled ascent at about 60 fpm to thirty feet (consistent with my training), then at 30 fpm to twenty feet where I held on to some kelp and did a full three minute safety. As it happens, every inhalation at 20 feet dropped my tank pressure by about 5 psi. When my full three minutes were up I ascended slowly to the surface and ended up with a huge 50 psi (about ten breaths) in reserve.

I believe that, while it may be true that "there's simply no reason to unexpectedly `run out' of air," making this statement is not helpful. I feel it is better to acknowledge that OOA does happen and move on.

Actually, I agree with you ... and the scenario you posted above is more common than I would like it to be among newer divers. The life on the walls at Quadra are enough to gah-gah the bejeebers out of anyone who hasn't previously experience it.

The frightening thing is that you ascended alone from that depth with that small amount of gas ... as noted, there was no margin for error. What you probably didn't know is that the walls at Quadra are known for downcurrents that can prevent you from surfacing without significant effort. Without a buddy, had you encountered one you would most likely have drowned.

What I would like to emphasize with the above comment is that the larger error wasn't yours ... but your buddy's for letting you surface on your own. I faced the same situation when I was last at Quadra (diving with someone who blew through her air quickly). My solution was to accompany her to safety stop, then watch from depth as she got back on the boat and spend the rest of my dive checking out the critters along the shallower part of the wall.

Just something to consider, if you should ever find yourself in that situation again (on either side of the buddy team) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Walter I am not trying to get into a match game with you. When taken out of context you can see conflict I am sure. Maybe I am not the best at writing down my thoughts.
I think DC understood what I was writing.
See you topside! John

Jim matbe the word fix is wrong but again I can appreciate what you are doing.
See you topside! John

Panic cycle, skin diving, requiring people to swim (300 yd snorkel isn't swimming), and confidence building exercises (Doff & Don, Bailout) are things that immediately come to mind.

All of these were covered in my PADI OW course...way back in 2006. Along with rescuing an unresponsive diver at the surface and from depth. Learned buddy breathing too. We also did OOA and air-share swims in a jacket BCD with standard reg/octo, a back-inflate BCD with Air2, and a BP/W with a long/short hose. (5ft probably, wasn't aware of details at the time.)

Interestingly, it wasn't until after I was certified and came to ScubaBoard that I learned that anyone taught/learned skills while kneeling on the bottom. My instructor never told me to kneel on the bottom, he never knelt on the bottom. He started by teaching me buoyancy control first, then when we did skills he demo'ed them while neutral. When it was my turn to show I could do the skill, I did it while neutral. He never said "do the skill while neutral" he just said "do the skill." I correctly assumed that's how I was supposed to do it. Most importantly, I was never lead to believe that it was HARD to do the skills while neutral. Because I was only ever shown how to do it while neutral, I didn't know any other way. I was also shown one main kick, which was described to me as "the easiest, most efficient kick for diving" before being shown the frog kick. "OK," I thought, "that's how I'll kick." I was never told that the bar was set high. Didn't even know there was a bar. Didn't worry about it. I did was I was shown, and I did it the way I was shown.

This picture of me was taken at the end of logged dive #15 for me:

GoodViz2.jpg

Seems like it's not only POSSIBLE to teach someone to be a good diver, but as Walter, Jim Lapenta and others have said above, it's not any harder to teach - or learn - to do it right...right from the get-go.

There's nothing about me that innately makes me a "better than most" diver. Wish I could say that I was born with some super-human tech diving natural, but that's not the case. The only advantage I have over "most divers" is that I was TRAINED to be a better diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom