Question for female divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

My wife, lolodiver, posted a question about diving with hair extensions. Post is located in forum called "Women's Views". Sub-forum is "Diving Related". The question isn't getting a lot attention. Just wondering if someone in this forum with an answer would visit "Women's Views" & post a reply. PS ... We are both wanna-be Coco Nuts. Our first visit was July 2009.

Thanks!

All of us started out as Wanna-be's!

As for your wife's question...sorry, I have short hair and have no clue!

eta....Is her concern whether the extensions will stay in? Other than that it's no different than anyone else diving with long hair. Use a beanie, or a do rag to contain the long hair.

Last edited:
What is her concern?

Darling duaghter has very long hair, her solution was a nice slap strap, easy on and off.....

M

My G/F also dive with long hair and has had no issues. She has done with a hood/without. Maybe more specific as to her concerns about the hair would help get a better answer

What can be the concern over diving with dead or fake hair? Is this a joke question? I guess next we will be wondering about diving with a spray on tan. If you are really concerned about this then you really should contact a Doctor knowlegeable in diving medicine and ask about the risks asociated and not take any advice from an anonymous forum, Just don't tell him or her I said so.

Long hair gets horrible matted and tangled when diving and a slap won't prevent that, neither will a hair-tie - I speak from experience as both me and my girlfriend have long hair. Both will still result in getting some horrendous knots. I don't know about extensions but I would think that pulling those knots out would also damage the extension in some way.

Your best solution is to use a hood or plait your hair before diving. It will still get some tangles but minor compared to not plaiting.

As a general note, the most common thing I find on the reef is hair-ties. They need to be much much tighter than you need in the air!

Long hair gets horrible matted and tangled when diving and a slap won't prevent that, neither will a hair-tie - I speak from experience as both me and my girlfriend have long hair. Both will still result in getting some horrendous knots. I don't know about extensions but I would think that pulling those knots out would also damage the extension in some way.

Your best solution is to use a hood or plait your hair before diving. It will still get some tangles but minor compared to not plaiting.

As a general note, the most common thing I find on the reef is hair-ties. They need to be much much tighter than you need in the air!

When I used to have long hair, I found a braid did best of keeping my hair from knotting.

Could you please post the link to her post for those of us who are too lazy to go look for it?

What can be the concern over diving with dead or fake hair? Is this a joke question? I guess next we will be wondering about diving with a spray on tan. If you are really concerned about this then you really should contact a Doctor knowlegeable in diving medicine and ask about the risks asociated and not take any advice from an anonymous forum, Just don't tell him or her I said so.
I do not believe the question was a medical one or a joke, but one to help maintain and prevent as much damage as they can to an expensive and time consuming investment. Just as you probably asked your instructor or someone more knowledgeable than you were about the care of your regulator.

This is sound advice if the extensions were sewn in. However, if they were glued in this can be a problem as saltwater and glue do not usually mix well. I suggest you consult with your hair stylist before diving if you wish to preserve your extensions.
Could you please post the link to her post for those of us who are too lazy to go look for it?
:shakehead: At least you do admit you're lazy.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom