Solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who cares what others think?

If you like doing solo dives, then that's what you do. You know what the risks are and if you're happy taking the additional risk then go for it.

There isn't a PADI Police out there regulating how you dive.

I'm always perplexed by such attitudes in this context. If one doesn't care what others think, why participate in an opt-in discussion forum?

By the simple act of starting this thread, it seems clear to me that the OP cares.

We humans are incredibly good at believing ourselves to be more capable than we actually are.

The bias that causes people to overestimate their abilities and to underestimate their inabilities (relative to others) is called illusory superiority.

Just under 80% of participants in a study evaluated themselves as being above-average drivers.

For details see McCormick, Iain A.; Frank H. Walkey, Dianne E. Green (June 1986). "Comparative perceptions of driver ability— A confirmation and expansion". Accident Analysis & Prevention 18 (3): 205–208.

...and I have never felt more relaxed and at ease. Being alone allowed me to focus on nothing else but my own dive. I did not have to keep tracking my partner, checking our air, bearings, etc.; I just had a very relaxing dive and to tell you the truth, the most fun yet. I concentrated on navigation techniques, my breathing, my buoyancy and my euipment.

What you just said above, that's why I solo dive.

I'm always perplexed by such attitudes in this context. If one doesn't care what others think, why participate in an opt-in discussion forum?

By the simple act of starting this thread, it seems clear to me that the OP cares.

It sounds more like he was looking for affirmation for what he had already done.

So once again, he didn't care to ask for anyone's opinion before he did it. So why ask now?

I want to get your views or take on solo dives. I realize this is a hot topic and one that is not supported during training...

Ahem!

Solo diving is supported by training.

I limit my solo dives generally to sites I know and are 30 feet or less so a CESA is easy (and I practise it). The plus side is you don't have to worry about coordinating times, dates, etc. with a buddy. The down side is as a shell collector, I won't find much at 30 feet or less. 60 or more is much better (at least here up North).

If you like doing solo dives, then that's what you do. You know what the risks are and if you're happy taking the additional risk then go for it.

Encouraging an inexperienced diver to do solo diving is actually not the most wise thing to do:no:. I would in fact consider it immature. Yes indeed there is no PADI or other organization police for sure ,but we are talking about someone's life here. He did it once,maybe he liked it,but scuba diving is a hobby and that's how it should be considered of. Losing your life is not fun at all. Plus, we are dealing with an environment that we are only guests there. It's not our home and you know it very well. So my opinion is "Avoid Solo Diving at your early stages of your diving career".
Statements such as "who cares" should be avoided at all costs...

P.S. I'm basing my opinion after having read the profile info saying about 0-24 dives in 10 years of diving career which means 2 or less dives per year.

You know what the risks are and if you're happy taking the additional risk then go for it.

What if the OP doesn't? You dont know what you dont know, ya know?

Ummmm....given his stated dive experience I think that's a big assumption and usually the cause of big problems. The fact he asked the question suggests HE cares what others opinions are. Well, useful ones, at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom